The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Gills shrinking

This is a discussion on Gills shrinking within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi all! My 10 year old axy's gills are SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than they used to be. Attached is a photo ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By onyx2011
  • 1 Post By emdalliance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th November 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: gougeaway has started on the right path
Default Gills shrinking

Hi all!

My 10 year old axy's gills are SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than they used to be. Attached is a photo from about 3 years ago and a few from a couple of weeks ago. We also noticed that he seems a bit bloated lately and his skin looks a little funny.

Is this normal? Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Gills shrinking-image2-2.jpg   Gills shrinking-img_3179.jpg   Gills shrinking-image1-4.jpg   Gills shrinking-img_3162.jpg  

gougeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: onyx2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

How are tank parameters? Could they be bad to the point where it's metamorphosing?

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

onyx2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: emdalliance is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like it could be morphing to me, buggy eyes, gills significantly reducing, thicker legs and the "dorsal" fin has disappeared a lot. Please check your water quality. Some will morph regardless of water quality but I'm not being rude but your tank looks quite filthy so your water conditions can't be great. Test your water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emdalliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information
Default Re: Gills shrinking

I agree with Emily, I does look like it could be morphing due to the reduction of the dorsal fin and gills, not so easy to tell with the eyes at the moment.

Metamorphed Axy...

Test your water for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate then post the results along with the temperature.

Old 17th November 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: MarieKarma1311 has shown reliable knowledgeMarieKarma1311 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Gills shrinking

I also agree, this looks like a possible early stage metamorphosis of an axolotl. I just recently experienced an axolotl morph with one of my juveniles.

It would help if we could see a full bodily picture as the tail and crest fin on the axolotls back can be a huge indication.

Please note that of your axolotl is struggling to swim in his tank you need to immediately remove him from the deep water and place him in a bucket or tub of shallow clean water so he doesn't drown.

Feel free to look at the photo album on my profile page about morphing axolotls, see if there are any similarities that you notice.

I am cruelty in the process of making a "what to do when your axolotl goes through metamorphosis " thread and will post it within the next few days.

MarieKarma1311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloated, gills, shrinking, sick

LinkBack