The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Sudden Floating

This is a discussion on Sudden Floating within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Tonight I found my filter had stopped and my axolotl was floating at the top of the tank unresponsive. I ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: inukawaii is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sudden Floating

Tonight I found my filter had stopped and my axolotl was floating at the top of the tank unresponsive. I thought he was dead! When I went to pick him up he flapped his gils. I immediately removed him from the tank put in him a bucket of declorinated water.

A little bit of background. I've had Meelo for 3 years with minimal health issues (he jumped out of his old tank when he was a juvenile). He currently is housed in a 30 gallon tank. I did a water change earlier in the night, the water was room temperature and I used declorinater. I fed him after I cleaned the tank and he had no issues.

I think something happened with the filter when it stopped. Anyone have some suggestions on what to do? He's currently moving, kind of in shock.

inukawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information
Default Re: Sudden Floating

Do you test your water for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate? It is important to follow the nitrogen cycle as this controls your Axolotls environment and health.

How do you monitor the temperature of your tank water?

Can you post some images of your tank and Axolotl?

Tags
floating axolotl

LinkBack