The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Sick, Possibly Gravid HELP

This is a discussion on Sick, Possibly Gravid HELP within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello all, I apologize in advance for this longer message. My little lady (not so little) is starting to grow ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: elindsey22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Sick, Possibly Gravid HELP

Hello all,
I apologize in advance for this longer message.

My little lady (not so little) is starting to grow fungus on her head- picture attached.
I would like to clear this up with salt baths but she has gotten HUGE all of a sudden.

I introduced a new male to the tank a few weeks back and last week I saw 2 spermatophore, though I did not see her uptake a packet. Haven't seen any since.

She has laid eggs twice before- I have had her for four years and she has done it for two- they were unfertilized due to no male being with. During those two periods I do not believe she got this big!

What I am wondering is:
Does she look possibly gravid? fat? constipated?
Her substrate is large pieces of slate so she did not ingest gravel. To me she does look more barrel shaped than pear shaped but I keep going back and forth.

Should I wait at least two days to start salt baths in case she is gravid and to not stress her?
Is there a concern with doing salt baths while fat or constipated?

As you can see I have two issues occurring and don't know what my first step should be.
I have done a water change (why my water in the photos looks a little off, but my water parameters okay).

I appreciate any help offered.
Attached Thumbnails
Sick, Possibly Gravid HELP-20161206_131117.jpg   Sick, Possibly Gravid HELP-20161206_131125.jpg   Sick, Possibly Gravid HELP-head.jpg  

elindsey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Holly12 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Sick, Possibly Gravid HELP

Gosh, I've never dealt with a gravid female, but I hope someone can help you. She's gorgeous!! Auntiejude is very good with axies!!

Old 7th December 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: elindsey22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Sick, Possibly Gravid HELP

Thanks Holly12, I will reach out and see if I can get some guidance. In the meantime if anyone else has any advice it would be appreciated!

elindsey22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help a member out, help and advice, help axie, need advice

LinkBack