The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

VERY SICK axolotl - curled tail, cotton wool spot on gills etc

This is a discussion on VERY SICK axolotl - curled tail, cotton wool spot on gills etc within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have had constant on going health issues with my axolotl despite trying everything I cram. Bowies water parameters are ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: hairdressica is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VERY SICK axolotl - curled tail, cotton wool spot on gills etc

I have had constant on going health issues with my axolotl despite trying everything I cram.
Bowies water parameters are good, but I have been struggling with the temperature
Bowies tank is stuck at 19 degrees and I can't get it down, despite constant water changes and a fan blowing on it.
I change my water every three days.
But I live in melbourne and we're going through a heat wave; even with the air conditioner on, it doesn't seem to help
I went away for 3 days ( my brother was looking after her)and came home to find her lethargic
She has no appetite, her tail and Hills are curled, her ridge on her back is completely gone and she has developed cotton wool ball type things on her gills.

I'm at my wits end. I've spent so much money to do my best to keep her happy and healthy.
I'm now on the verge of putting her up for adoption.
Please please help me
Attached Thumbnails
VERY SICK  axolotl - curled tail, cotton wool spot on gills etc-img_8988.jpg   VERY SICK  axolotl - curled tail, cotton wool spot on gills etc-img_8990.jpg   VERY SICK  axolotl - curled tail, cotton wool spot on gills etc-img_8992.jpg   VERY SICK  axolotl - curled tail, cotton wool spot on gills etc-img_8991.jpg   VERY SICK  axolotl - curled tail, cotton wool spot on gills etc-img_8996.jpg  

hairdressica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: VERY SICK axolotl - curled tail, cotton wool spot on gills etc

UPDATE; touched the large "cotton" substance accidentally while trying to feed and it fell off
Attached Thumbnails
VERY SICK  axolotl - curled tail, cotton wool spot on gills etc-img_8998.jpg   VERY SICK  axolotl - curled tail, cotton wool spot on gills etc-img_8999.jpg  

Old 5th January 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Holly12 has shown reliable knowledge

Of there's a fungal infection, that needs to be treated. Is she morphing? (I ask because of the ridge disappearing.)
My axie tank sat between 19 and 21 last summer and my guy did ok. It's winter now and he's between 14 and 16.

Old 5th January 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly12 View Post
Of there's a fungal infection, that needs to be treated. Is she morphing? (I ask because of the ridge disappearing.)
My axie tank sat between 19 and 21 last summer and my guy did ok. It's winter now and he's between 14 and 16.
I tried to salt bath her. She didn't last long before she started to stress
I don't think she's morphing. But I don't know what else it could be

Old 5th January 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: emdalliance is an unknown quantity at this point

Her feet are still webbed so I doubt she's morphing. The lack of top dorsal fin could be because she's underweight. I have rescued underweight axolotls and none of them have had much of a top fin.

She has a fungal infection. Treat with tea baths before moving on to salt baths. Salt baths should be a last resort. Remove her from her tank for now. 19 degrees is fine. Tank should always be below 20. What do you feed her? She might be susceptible to problems because she's underweight, not getting enough nutrients so poor immune system. How much water do you change? What are you testing your water with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emdalliance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curled gills, curled tail, fungus, gill problems, help and advice needed, hot tank, sick axie, sick axolotl, tank temperature, water parameters

LinkBack