The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Not Eating but no signs of Sickness or Distress. HELP!!

This is a discussion on Not Eating but no signs of Sickness or Distress. HELP!! within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello!! So I'm a little worries about my axie. He hasn't been eating a lot lately and I don't know ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TooFastSpindash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not Eating but no signs of Sickness or Distress. HELP!!

Hello!!

So I'm a little worries about my axie. He hasn't been eating a lot lately and I don't know if I should be worried or not. I've tried all the food I have and he is uninterested in all of it. He is an adult measuring about 10 inches long

He doesn't appear sick (no gill fungus), or stressed (gills are relaxed, tail is straight and his movement patterns haven't changed). He has been occasionally gulping up for air and having some slight trouble swimming upwards but he makes it.

I wasn't sure if it was the water quality so I did a 75% water change, added tap water pre treatment (1 ml) and let it cycle. The temperature is 17C/68F. Water calcium is 60. Carbonate Hardness is about 10. pH is maybe a 6.5 or 6.6. No2 and No3 are very low. I would say .5 No2 and 0 No3.

I don't know what to do at this point. All help is welcome.

Also if anyone knows what breed he is would be cool to know.

Thanks
Izzy
Attached Thumbnails
Not Eating but no signs of Sickness or Distress. HELP!!-img_20170213_202549901.jpg   Not Eating but no signs of Sickness or Distress. HELP!!-img_20170213_202607829.jpg  

TooFastSpindash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: GalLuvsAxolotls has given good advice and informationGalLuvsAxolotls has given good advice and information
Default Re: Not Eating but no signs of Sickness or Distress. HELP!!

My axolotls prefer a PH range of 7-7.4 and start acting strange when the PH dips into the 6 range. What is the PH of the water you are using for water changes? IMO you need to get the PH to at least 7.

Also low oxygenation can lead them to dash to the surface and gulp air, and low oxygenation can also be a contributing factor for low PH. I would add an air stone.

Gravel is not a good choice for substrate as the axolotl will ingest some and can get an impaction. Your axolotl could have consumed some gravel and that is why he is not eating right now. I would suggest switching to sand as a substrate.

He looks like a wild type to me!

GalLuvsAxolotls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: WalkingFish has given good advice and informationWalkingFish has given good advice and information
Default Re: Not Eating but no signs of Sickness or Distress. HELP!!

First I just want to say he is a beautiful wild type male. Really good color. As far as him not eating a whole lot, how long has it been since his last meal? How much are you feeding him at each meal? If he really is 10 inches long then he is full grown and this may change his diet. How old is he? If he grew quickly to this size, then maybe his metabolism has just slow down because he's an adult. Generally speaking as Axolotl get bigger they eat less often. So if you're Axolotl is young and grew very fast then it would make sense why he is slowing down his eating habits, he's just done growing. However if you've had this Axolotl for an extended period of time especially at this size then I would continue to monitor his behavior, slime coat, gills, tail etc. And watch for signs of stress. I hope it turns out to be nothing!

WalkingFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breed, confused, gulps, normal, not eating, not sick, scared, sick

LinkBack