The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl Stressed from Move...

This is a discussion on Axolotl Stressed from Move... within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Sorry in advance for the wall of text. TL;DR: Stressed/beat up from a long move, not eating, have him fridged, ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th June 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AmberAmazine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl Stressed from Move...

Sorry in advance for the wall of text.
TL;DR: Stressed/beat up from a long move, not eating, have him fridged, what else can I do?

My 5 yr old male leucistic was just moved from 2600 miles from Atlanta to Washington state. I left him with my boyfriend for the last 3 months, so I haven't been taking direct care of him. He was happy and healthy when I left.

He got beat up a little during the 2-day move; abrasions on his face and a red leg that seems a little better now. He's been in a 10-gallon tub for the last few days (daily water changes, temp at 60F/15C) while the tank cycles, and he's been showing signs of stress since he arrived.

[Imgur album]

He's also throwing up his nightcrawler pieces half-digested. He normally eats red wigglers, so I'm not sure if this is a picky-eater problem or a stress problem. I can't find anything but nightcrawlers at nearby bait shops or Petco. Any suggestions for alternative food for a picky eater?

I panicked and fridged him last night and his tail is starting to uncurl. Any other suggestions to help him?

AmberAmazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Axolotl Stressed from Move...

Some people do manage to feed their newt pellets.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: EggAndSausage has given good advice and informationEggAndSausage has given good advice and information

Petsmart has red wiggles. He might be stressed from different temps from you boyfriends house to Washington or from you original home. Did you keep any of your old water? if not, that is a problem because if you dumped the water, it had all the good bacteria and now all the new bacteria that's untreated in the water from the new water will be like you just got a new tank. Hope this helps

EggAndSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Just a little note... There is little of the bacteria floating freely in the water, it'll be concentrated more in the filter and on other objects with in your original tank. As long as these items where kept moist, they should transport well.
Understandably your axolotl will be stressed from the huge move. The water will be different as well so he may need to adjust to that too. Hopefully, being kept cool and quiet for a while will help. Keep us posted with any further changes.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AmberAmazine is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the suggestions. After fridging him for a bit, he is almost back to himself. He's developed a fungal infection on his damaged leg, but I am going to attempt another fridging along with salt baths. Thanks again!
update picture

Last edited by AmberAmazine; 3rd July 2017 at 17:41. Reason: Forgot to post an update picture
AmberAmazine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, long-distance move, not eating, stressed

LinkBack