The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Help me

This is a discussion on Help me within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I need someone's help fast!! My axie had a growth on her back that resembled cotton and so I removed ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kstrach15
  • 2 Post By bellabelloo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kstrach15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Help me

I need someone's help fast!!

My axie had a growth on her back that resembled cotton and so I removed her from her tank and put her in a smaller container with fresh water. I read online to give a salt bath to get rid of the fungus that's growing but she looks horrible after the first salt bath and now has red streaks on her back. Did I do the wrong thing by giving her a salt bath? What else can I do for her, she won't eat and her gills look terrible ):
I don't even know what kind of fungal infection it is because it started on her back and moved to her tail.
I don't know what to do and I feel so bad for her. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME HIS IS MY THIRD POST AND I HAVENT GOTTEN A REPLY
Attached Thumbnails
Help me-img_2900.jpg   Help me-img_2870.jpg  

kstrach15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: emdalliance is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have anymore pictures of the growth before you did the salt bath?

How did you do the salt bath?

Fungus usually attacks things like gills and toes and tail tips rather than their back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emdalliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: kstrach15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help me

I followed the instructions from axolotl.org and mixed 2 tsp of table salt with water and I only left her in there for ten minutes, the photo where she doesn't look red was the before photo. Her conditioned as declined rapidly at this point.

And that's why I'm freaking out bc it showed no signs of starting on the gills, only her back and then a tiny patch on the tail. After the salt bath, I could tell that some of it went away but now the redness and unresponsiveness is telling me that a salt bath may have been a bad idea. I have no idea what else could've been wrong with her, I did so much research and even asked the person I got her from what I should do. They recommend a tea bag bath but I haven't read about that on any site I've been to.

I haven't given her another salt bath but I keep her in fresh dechlorinated water that I change every day to try and help her regain her strength on her own. Her tail looks VERY bent and I don't think she has much longer ):

I attached another before photo
Attached Thumbnails
Help me-img_2860.jpg  

kstrach15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Help me

Have a look through this, hopefully this may help.

Notes on columnaris infections + volumetric Holtfreter's

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: emdalliance is an unknown quantity at this point

Tea baths are used just to soothe the skin, they don't really fight fungus.

You just need 100% black tea bags (no flavours nothing added), boil kettle, make up some tea (water andd tea bag) stir it, let cool. Remove tea bag. Pour tea into the tub your axie is in. It should look kind of gold in colour for a good amount. It will soothe her if nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emdalliance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fungal infection, help and advice, help and advice needed, sick axie, sick axolotl

LinkBack