The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Red dots on face and body

This is a discussion on Red dots on face and body within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello, I'm worried about my axolotl. He has red dots all over his face and body. It started about a ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jenabean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Red dots on face and body

Hello, I'm worried about my axolotl. He has red dots all over his face and body.
It started about a month ago, he would get red dots on his face while he was eating. I thought it was normal, and then the past week I noticed them everywhere on him!
Our water is about 20 degrees, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and it was about 80 ppm nitrates. But this week we have been doing 50% water changes every 2 days and added some live plants to try to get the nitrate down. I've been checking every 24 hrs after the water change and it is lowering but the nitrate is still a bit high.
People have been saying it's a bacterial infection, but everything I looked up didn't look like him at all. I've bought furan 2 just in case but haven't used it yet. Looking for more advice before. But i will take him to the vet if that doesn't work.
I just find it weird how I've only seen these red dots on albino type axolotls. So wild types could have it and just not know because they can't see it?
Also want to add that he is eating, pooping and acting normal

Thank you so much for reading and any advice would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Red dots on face and body-img_1121.jpg   Red dots on face and body-img_1138.jpg   Red dots on face and body-img_1134.jpg   Red dots on face and body-img_1135.jpg   Red dots on face and body-img_1132.jpg  

Red dots on face and body-img_1140.jpg  

Jenabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Red dots on face and body

I don't have a specific answer for you but I would like to refer you to these helpful articles on Health,
Treating wounds, and other medical issues.
Scroll down to "Health and Illness."

Caudata Culture Articles

Also you can start here and explore:
Caudata Culture Home Page

Good luck!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, dots, infection?, red, sick, spots

LinkBack