The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Please please please help!

This is a discussion on Please please please help! within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I would be ever so greatful for any help that anyone could offer! I got an axolotl last Friday, so ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Bethjames14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Please please please help!

I would be ever so greatful for any help that anyone could offer! I got an axolotl last Friday, so I've nearly had him a week! He used to eat bloodworms in the place I got him but I'm
Now feeling him earth worms, only small one a day! Ever since I seen him in the shop his gills were slightly curled forward however I didn't know that this was a sign of stress as this is the first time I've owned an axolotl. He has only had one poo since I've had him and that was a couple of days ago! The water temperature is around 20-21 degrees and is perfect, no ammonia, no nitrates, ph of 7.2-7.4! He's got three hides in his tank and live plants! However his back legs have been floating and I have no idea what to do, also how often should they poo? I'm so upset because as soon as I get an animal I immediately get attached and do everything I can for them! I'm not sure how old he is, I believe between 5-7 months, I sort of reduced him as I didn't like how he was kept in the pet shop as there was lots of water movement and water wasn't very clean but now his water is completely still as I have a spray bark that goes on to a stone on top of the pot. He's got sand on the bottom of his tank that I've sived a million times to get anything that could possibly get stuck, out not is it the think sand it's very very fine. I really really would appreciate any help with 1) why his legs are floating? 2)how often should that poo? 3) how many small earthworms should I feed him? 4) if there's anything I can do to make him as happy as he possibly can? 5) whether he can have naturally curled forward gills?

I hope I haven't missed any information out, and as I said I will be so so so thankful for any help and sorry if this doesn't make sense I'm distraught over what to do and I can't bare the thought of him in pain☹️
Thank you again x

Bethjames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Please please please help!

I don't have a specific answer for you but I would like to refer you to these helpful articles on Health,
Treating wounds, and other medical issues.
Scroll down to "Health and Illness."

Caudata Culture Articles

Also you can start here and explore:
Caudata Culture Home Page

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl advice, axolotl help, curled gills, floating back legs, sick axolotl

LinkBack