The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Help! Sick axolotl need urgent advice please

This is a discussion on Help! Sick axolotl need urgent advice please within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; My friend's axolotl is unwell, and she's been unable to find an experienced vet to see him. She has managed ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th August 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ToothlessLotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Help! Sick axolotl need urgent advice please

My friend's axolotl is unwell, and she's been unable to find an experienced vet to see him. She has managed to find a vet willing to work with her to help, but he doesn't have experience with axolotls. He's happy to prescribe whatever may be needed etc. but needs guidance. This axolotl has lived with my friend for several years, with a tank mate- Both always happy and healthy until now. He recently started going red, and since yesterday has gone downhill fast. He refused food yesterday, his toes have fallen off, the redness is worse and he started floating (but currently back at the bottom in isolation tank). He's improved already since a salt bath today but we really need to know what to do to help and treat him. Also is this red leg? We've never seen it before. She has Baytril antibiotic which the vet suggested may be needed to bath him in, but we are unsure of how much Baytril to water and so on. Are twice daily salt baths right? Should she be bathing him in Baytril too? What else needs to be done? We really would appreciate any help and advice. We've tried so many vets and aside from this one there are none willing or able to help. She's obviously placed the poorly axolotl in an isolation tank without pump, and covered with a towel to keep it dark. She has done a large water change in the original tank for the other axolotl (who is showing no signs of illness and still eating etc) and also cleaned all hides and artificial plants. I've attached photos. Last one is him now, since the salt bath
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Sick axolotl need urgent advice please-img_0987.jpg   Help! Sick axolotl need urgent advice please-img_0989.jpg   Help! Sick axolotl need urgent advice please-img_0986.jpg  

ToothlessLotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: LippyNix has given good advice and informationLippyNix has given good advice and information
Default Re: Help! Sick axolotl need urgent advice please

I have never dealt with an illness in my axolotls, but I did a quick search for "red patches on chin and belly of an axolotl" and found this: Axolotls - Health & Diseases

I would recommend you read this and then do a similar search and read whatever you can find. If you're lucky, that vet is intrigued and searching veterinary literature for anything that may help. Good luck!

Old 31st August 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: axolover703 has shown reliable knowledge

Those changes seem very sudden! Were there any major changes with water, environment, or feeding that's notable before this started happening?

axolover703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks for your responses. We have been reading every page we can find related to red leg and other possible causes. No changes to conditions, water, feeding etc. To update, this boy is looking a lot better today. He did after the first salt bath, and looks like he is continuing to improve. He's going to be having Baytril antibiotic baths twice a day as well as the salt baths, but would still appreciate any advice anyone can give! Would red leg improve from salt baths? He's no longer floating and the redness has lessened. He's also more alert.

Old 31st August 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Photos of how he looks today
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Sick axolotl need urgent advice please-img_0995.jpg   Help! Sick axolotl need urgent advice please-img_0996.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Unhappy Re: Help! Sick axolotl need urgent advice please

Unfortunately, despite the owner's best efforts this little guy passed away
Can anyone please tell me what she should do about the other one she has?? She's still feeding and happy with no signs- Although being black her owner is worried that red patches would be difficult to spot. Would it be expected that she'd be unwell by now too if she had whatever the male did? Would truly appreciate any advice on this as she is still unable to find a herp vet to help or advise!

Tags
help and advice needed, sick axie, sick axolotl, treatment?, urgent

LinkBack