The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl is Pale and does not eat enough food

This is a discussion on Axolotl is Pale and does not eat enough food within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello everyone, First time Axolotl dad here, I got my Axie last wednesday and he seems to be active and ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Wyvell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl is Pale and does not eat enough food

Hello everyone,
First time Axolotl dad here, I got my Axie last wednesday and he seems to be active and exploring but does not seem to be eating enough food. He eats a very small amount of bloodworms and will eat around one red wiggler a day that I have been cutting into thirds so he can handle them.
water Temp is currently 66 degrees F.
Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite are within acceptable range.
I do have a filter running but it runs in a corner of the tank and pours over a tank decoration and has some plants around it to break up the movement.
In addition, I seem to notice his gills slightly curled forward and he looks a little pale.
There were a few minnows in his tank but I removed them because he wouldnt eat them and they seemed to stress him out. Currently there are 3 small ghost shrimp in the tank but they stay far away from him and are usually inside of one of the hides.
He will not eat pellet food or frozen brine shrimp. only the movement of the wigglers seems to provoke him. He is also afraid to eat from my hand or from tweezers.
The picture attached shows him when we first brought him home. He is pale in the photo.
My Axie is around 2 inches long.
Thanks for the help guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Axolotl is Pale and does not eat enough food-21439285_1657990207544385_597459832_o.jpg  

Wyvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Wyvell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl is Pale and does not eat enough food

Yesterday afternoon I took a water sample to the local Fish store. We did a water test and found it was high on ammonia. Probably due to it being a new tank setup. I have since added Stability and Amguard along with a biomedia to the filter. I hope that gets it sorted out. I will also be doing small water changes throughout the week. Any comments on other things that would help are appreciated. Thanks all!

Wyvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Sillystar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl is Pale and does not eat enough food

When my axolotls were younger, they really liked frozen bloodworms and live blackworms and tubifex. A wiggling mass of live blackworms is nearly irresistible to any healthy axolotl. I can buy a couple of Tbsp of blackworms from my local fish store and store them in my fridge with daily water changes, but I know you can also buy them online in bulk. Good luck!

Sillystar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axie help, feeding axolotls, new axie

LinkBack