The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Some sort of fungus?

This is a discussion on Some sort of fungus? within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I woke up this morning and checked on Dragon, my wildtype axolotl. He was fine last night, but I noticed ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Twigwise is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Some sort of fungus?

I woke up this morning and checked on Dragon, my wildtype axolotl. He was fine last night, but I noticed after checking temps that he has what appears to be a fungus growing on one of his gill stalks. It's a nice cool 62 degrees in his tank and I can check water params if need be. I was planning on changing the filter pads in the canister filter today. Should I still do that? And my big question: is this call for a salt bath? I'd have to buy a mini fridge if he needs to be fridged so I need to know if I should do that too...

I think I attached pictures properly, but if not, I'll post them in a separate post.
Attached Thumbnails
Some sort of fungus?-20171002_091508.jpg   Some sort of fungus?-20171002_091448.jpg  

Twigwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Twigwise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Some sort of fungus?

Update: Dragon is now in a quarantine tank and very unhappy about it. I ran water tests and my params are:
Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40+ ppm (but not 80ppm yet)

I know the ammonia is a bit high but is that an acceptable place for nitrate to be? It seems way too red for me to be comfortable with...

Based on these parameters, what should my course of action be? I'm really worried about my little guy.

Twigwise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, fungus, gill fungus, gill stalks

LinkBack