The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Is Calcium Carbonate okay for Axolotls?

This is a discussion on Is Calcium Carbonate okay for Axolotls? within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello, I'm in need of some help. I have been using ice to cool my tank since we have been ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Taytayshoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is Calcium Carbonate okay for Axolotls?

Hello, I'm in need of some help. I have been using ice to cool my tank since we have been displaced from Hurricane Harvey and my chiller was destroyed during the storm. I noticed that there were floaties in my tank after the ice melted. After doing some research i found out that it was only calcium carbonate. There are now flakes all over the bottom of the tank, my male, Speckles has been eating the floaties like mad. Even tho I have fed him already today. Is this okay...? I know I have to buy a new syphon, but I have little money since the hurricane because I cannot work. I clean their tank everyday but the floaties still stick around. Does anyone know if these floaties are harmless? They are to humans because it's mostly just calcium but lord knows to Axolotls. (P.s. I have a fan on them now, so no more ice)

Taytayshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Sufia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Calcium Carbonate okay for Axolotls?

I'd be inclined to put the axolotl in the fridge instead of dropping ice cubes directly into the tank, especially if the cubes were not treated with dechlorinator before being submerged into the tank. Alternatively, get a plastic bottle filled with treated water and freeze that so it can be placed in tank. You can use as many as you like depending on the size of your tank.

As for the floaties, how did you deduce that it is calcium carbonate? In either case, I personally don't believe they'll have a huge affect on your tank (I could be wrong!) given that carbonates contribute to the buffering capacity of the tank. I would, however, be checking the pH just to be sure - some pet stores will do this free of charge.

Also, given your predicament I would be sourcing any kind of tubing (i.e. garden hose) and using that in lieu of a gravel vacuum.

Sufia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotls, calcium

LinkBack