The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Skin shedding off tail - Tail bent - Help?

This is a discussion on Skin shedding off tail - Tail bent - Help? within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I now have a problem of that my black & 1 wild coloured one are shedding skin off their tails ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2006   #1 (permalink)
melissa

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I now have a problem of that my black & 1 wild coloured one are shedding skin off their tails & their tails are bend around, plus my other wild coloured one has a bent tail too but no skin shedding, i understand bent tail is stress, do you thing salt baths & placing in fridge is the way to go?

thanks mel
Old 8th January 2006   #2 (permalink)
melissa

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I want to add some pics some are clear some are a little blurred maybe they can help.

Click the image to open in full size.

the black has one dot of white on his back, both have shedding tails & bent tails, the wild colour is stressed gills forward facing.

I have done salt bath & placed both in the fridge.

Can anyone give me instructions on the fridge & salt thingy so i make sure i'm doing it right, I presume the salt water would have to be same temp as the water in fridge?, How often do you need to do water changes in the fridge? Does the fridge need to be at a certain temp? Is it best to leave in the fridge til there is no more signs or fungus?
Old 8th January 2006   #3 (permalink)
jinny

Gallery Images:
Comments:

water quality? ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte levels?

Are you aware that axies like other amphibians <u>do</u> shed skin normally, they just tend to eat it before most people notice?

What type of filtration are you using? Have you checked that the water flow isn't too fast?

(Message edited by j4782 on January 08, 2006)
Old 8th January 2006   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: andrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I have answered your questions in your other post. "sick axolotl - fungus on gills"
andrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bent, shedding, skin, tail

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 26 (Set)

alaskalotl, alexey, Beagz, chuckie127, Coldnorthtoy, corinne81, crosley, danchristopher, Delzoun, Grabiec, Jaws, jessikaye84, Kerry M, LostRevanche, mcr, newtron, NewtZoo, nikkiboo, peatea, Rammoth, Sean1364, TsukikoMythos, vikki88, weofui, xxianxx