The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

HELP!!! My axie's back leg is twisted Back!!! I need help!!

This is a discussion on HELP!!! My axie's back leg is twisted Back!!! I need help!! within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I just came home and I found that one of my axie's back legs are twisted back and is quite ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th September 2005   #1 (permalink)
chantel

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I just came home and I found that one of my axie's back legs are twisted back and is quite red and has a little bit of this whitish stuff on her toes. She also has a red mark on her belly! Can sumbody please help me? i'm really worried!!!

Old 26th September 2005   #2 (permalink)
cynthia

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Chantel - Is your axolotl living with fish or another axolotl?

Could it of got its leg caught in a tank decoration or filter intake?

I would remove it from the tank and isolate it in a small food safe container (with lid) in some of your tank water. Keep the container cool and the water clean. You could put the container in the fridge to cool the axolotl down and help it heal.

If the axolotls skin is broken you may want to give some salt baths to keep fungus away.
2 teaspoons of salt dissolved in 2 liters of water soak for 10 min twice a day.

Use the same temperature water for water changes and salt baths.

Old 26th September 2005   #3 (permalink)
chantel

Gallery Images:
Comments:

she is living with 2 other axies. I just gave her a salt bath for 10 mins and put her in the frigde for that time. What is the longest time I can leave her in the fridge? With the filter the is no way she could have been caught in it there is only one hole and that one pushes air out. It filters through a sponge and coals. Do you think she could have been attacked? I have 3 females. Thank you

Old 27th September 2005   #4 (permalink)
cynthia

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Chantel - axolotls can stay in the fridge (according to I.U) for up to 30 days, so yes you can leave her in there for now. Keep her water clean and watch for infection or fungus on her injury. Offer her food daily, but remember in the fridge she will probably not eat as much as she did in the tank.

If her skin is not broken then you do not need to salt bath her.

She was probably bitten by your other axolotls.
You need to make sure your axolotls have lots of hiding places where they can escape each others aggression. Feed them well so they are not as likely to snap at each other in search of food.

Some axolotls are aggressive and don't like sharing their space. As they mature they bully each other for space.

If your axolotls keep fighting you may want to put in tank separators or move them to their own separate tanks.

Tags
axie's, back, leg, twisted

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 10th October 2017, 07:19 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack