The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Axolotl has developed black toes

This is a discussion on Axolotl has developed black toes within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have an axolotl that in the past 24hrs has developed black toes/feet and a black mark under his mouth. ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th August 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: snoopy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Axolotl has developed black toes

I have an axolotl that in the past 24hrs has developed black toes/feet and a black mark under his mouth. I have had my axolotl for about a month. I have been doing water changes every week. The ph is at 7 to 7.2. I have a filter that hangs on the side of the tank, which I have turned down low this morning, (I thought maybe the flow may of been to high and he was stressing). I noticed one of his gills where up (from what I have read this is a sign of stress) so I am hoping by turning down the flow it reduces his stress. I have been feeding him bloodworms and pellets (he is not fused on pellets). Is there anything that I am doing wrong?
My main concern is that he has developed these black toes/feet is this normal or treatable?
Can anyone possible advice me on what to do?
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11
Default Re: Axolotl has developed black toes

Hi Snoopy,

The toes go black in pale axolotls to indicate maturity.

The black mark under the mouth may be natural markings - does your axie have black eyes?

If you could post a photo though, that would be helpful.

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: snoopy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
His eyes are orange/red colour, I shall try and post a photo tomorrow I am new at this and still trying to work out this site. I will get there eventually.

The photo that is under your user name of the blackness on the toes is exactly the same.

My axolotl is a sort of gold /white (spot) colour, he was bread in australia.

Other than his black feet and the bit under his mouth there is no other black. He had no black on him until 24hrs ago.

If this is normal that is fine but my daughter would be heart broken if he is sick. He is a real memeber of the family (what a thing to say)

Thanks for helping
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11

If you could post a photo of the black mark under his head that would be great.

This thread details how to post a picture on the forum: How to Post Pictures

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008   #5 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11blueberlin goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
He is a real memeber of the family (what a thing to say)
It's te same here, too - even friends who come to visit spend time at the tanks, saying "hello". You're in good company.

-Eva
blueberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: sherrisixxx has shown reliable knowledge

Also make sure to test the tank water properly, especially for ammonia and nitrite, as if either of these is high,it will make your axie ill, and could even be fatal. Both readings should be near 0. I have an axie same colour as yours, and his toes first turned a colour of light grey, then dark grey and then black, but it took at least a month
sherrisixxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, black, developed, toes