The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

How long should i fridge mrs axolotl for?

This is a discussion on How long should i fridge mrs axolotl for? within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Mrs axolotls offspring seem to have bitten of her toes they look very saw shes been in the fridge does ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd August 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KINGOFTHEMODS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long should i fridge mrs axolotl for?

Mrs axolotls offspring seem to have bitten of her toes they look very saw shes been in the fridge does anyone know if she should stay in there until her toes grow back or just until the rawness has gone? also where is good for finding homes for the offenders theyre about 7months old and about ready and im not going to put mrs axolotl back in untill theyve gone. interestingly they dont touch mr axolotl hes a willd type or mrs axolotls twin brother hes white the little ones are dark and mottled they just dont seem to like her.
KINGOFTHEMODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: scrappa has started on the right path
Default Re: How long should i fridge mrs axolotl for?

Hi,

I would say until the rawness is gone because in my expereince they regenerate better warm.

Mine regenerated 3 whole limbs in 1 week so some toes shouldn't take very long.

I have never fridged an axie before though so mabye some info from kaysie or davemaverick would be better.
Old 22nd August 2009   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Kerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgKerry1968 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

If you put a post in the 'For Sale' section of the forum, I'm sure you'll find someone willing to take them on.

You would need to put your location though (nearest city/town) so that people will know whether they would have to travel far to adopt your naughty little ones!

Good luck.

Keep an eye on Mrs.Axolotl, I'm sure she'll soon be back to health.
Kerry1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

thanks for the advice,im going to find the for sale bit now.i will be keeping my eye on my mrs axolotl shes the best me and mr axolotl both think so.
Old 23rd August 2009   #5 (permalink)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11

Firstly, it would be best not to overcrowd your tank with all the axies, especially at this young age, they can be aggressive and cannibalistic. If possible, house axies seperately in smaller tanks, otherwise, use a tank divider and provide plenty of hiding places. Try not to create feeding frenzy by placing the food at one spot where 'which grabs the fastest grabs the most'. Feed them seperately or at different ends of the tank. These are preventative measures to prevent cannibalism.

You can place Mrs Axolotl in the fridge for up to 3 weeks if you are concerned. I would try a week and see how it goes. If there is only a slight injury at the toe tips, the recovery shouldn't take too long.
Old 23rd August 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

thanks for the tips, her feet are still quite raw but they are on the mend shes been in the fridge for a week so i might give her a little bit longer shes eating now and then and seems happy enough. i will seperate them before she goes back in, i feed them all individualy using chopsticks so they know they dont have to compete for food and my tank is a real big one which gives them all plenty of room should they want it. cheers for all the advice its been helpful.