The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Frida seems to be shedding a lot of skin since the river rock incident

This is a discussion on Frida seems to be shedding a lot of skin since the river rock incident within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I posted the other week about the fiasco Frida and I had with river rocks in her tank. She seems ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Berrie has started on the right path
Default Frida seems to be shedding a lot of skin since the river rock incident

I posted the other week about the fiasco Frida and I had with river rocks in her tank. She seems to be quite happy and normal now, but I came home this morning, and she has what looks like a large piece of dead skin on her chest/belly up to her chin. It seems to be flaking off constantly, and I don't think it's fungus, because her gills are clear, and it isn't 'bumpy', it's all one big white area. Should I be concerned? Could it be bacteria? I'm being very vigilant about water quality, and there's currently minimal ammonia, and no nitrates and nitrites. We had an ammonia spike the other day, because I was forced to be a 100% tank change - could this be it? Is there anything I should do apart from keeping on top of water quality? She seems generally ok and relaxed, it just looks odd, and makes me worry!
Berrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009   #2 (permalink)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11
Default Re: Frida seems to be shedding a lot of skin since the river rock incident

Hi Berrie,

There seem to be many posts lately about axies being affected health wise by addition of new river rocks. I would rather err on the side of caution and remove those rocks. Some rocks may leach out substances that can be toxic to axies or carry with them harmful pathogens.

Could you put up photos of the axie so i can assess its condition?

You are doing the right thing by checking water parameters and performing water changes.If worried, the fridge is your friend. It will substantially slow down many bacterial illnesses.

Cheers.
Old 6th September 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Frida seems to be shedding a lot of skin since the river rock incident

The rocks are gone, Rayson, and I've done a 100% water change. I didn't want to get rid of all the water, but I figured that an uncycled tank which I'm closely monitoring is safer than whatever the rocks had on them. I'll try and get a photo of her now :)
ETA - Gah, she's being uncooperative, I'll try and get one tomorrow, but atleast 50% of it seems to be gone since this morning.
Old 7th September 2009   #4 (permalink)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11

Excellent. Good job Berrie. I agree with your plan.
Old 8th September 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

And it's all gone! Could it just have been peeling skin? She still seems quite happy and unconcerned by the whole event.

Tags
frida, incident, lot, river, rock, shedding, skin