The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Fuzz on gills

This is a discussion on Fuzz on gills within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I recently purchased 2 juvenile golden axolotls. I have had them for about 3 weeks. They are each in their ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th September 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: shoegal has shown reliable knowledge
Exclamation Fuzz on gills

I recently purchased 2 juvenile golden axolotls. I have had them for about 3 weeks. They are each in their own 6 gallon tank with a filter and micro chiller. The filter is designed for the tank, so there is not an excessive current. I know that this can be stressful for axolotls. There is no substrate on the tank bottom to prevent gravel ingestion. The water stays at 68 degrees and the tanks are fully cycled. I add 40% Holtfreter's solution to the water.

I test the water regularily and there is no ammonia, nitrite, and hardly any nitrate. I have had aquariums for years, and I realize the importance of testing water parameters. I change 20% of the water daily to keep it fresh & clean. The water always remains a bit cloudy in spite of my diligent cleaning.

I feed my axolotls frozen blood worms every day and vacuum up the uneaten food. They have very healthy appetites and go crazy for the worms. They are growing at an impressive rate, and their bodies are really filling out.

Here is the issue: 2 days ago I noticed a bit of white fuzz on their gills. At first I thought it was debris that had gotten stuck on their feathery gills. I do have a bit of similar-looking white fuzz growing on the silk plants in their tank. I have been all over the web trying to figure out what is going on. I have been unable to determine if it is a bacteria, fungus, or nothing to worry about.

I would love to get some insight into this situation. I really love these little guys and want to keep them happy & healthy.

shoegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009   #2 (permalink)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11Darkmaverick goes to 11
Default Re: Fuzz on gills

Can you post up some photos please?

Sometimes mouldly detritus or uneaten food can get lodged on the axie's gills. That would seed an infection and can lead to widespread fungal mycosis. Therefore, cleaning the tank regularly by siphoning up detritus is more than just to maintain good water parameters.

If it is indeed fungus, it is best to use a salt bath treatment followed by fridging.

Tags
bacteria, fungus, fuzz, gills, strands, white

LinkBack