The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How to: Force feed an adult axolotl

This is a discussion on How to: Force feed an adult axolotl within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Originally Posted by willowcat Has anyone seen a pattern on what types usually quit eating first? Like, maybe, albino.. Anorexia ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th September 2014   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: aviark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to: Force feed an adult axolotl

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowcat View Post
Has anyone seen a pattern on what types usually quit eating first? Like, maybe, albino..
Anorexia in Western Australian axoltls: Great question Willowcat. I have seen it, but never seen it raised as an issue viz link betwixt Anorexia and colour morph. Two variations on the theme too. 1) Healthy adult axolotls becoming Anorexic. 2) Wasting phenomenon in hachlings and small larvae.

Returning to Willowcat's question... I have seen it, over 10 years, in two breeding-age males, about 5 years apart. Both dark-eyed mocha coloured males. Unrelated (as best they can be, given no 'new blood' in Australia, to speak of.) And not 'inos.

The first male never really recovered, but I did get him 'over the line' by keeping him 'penned' in a coral bed filtration pipe with constant cool running water. I'm fortunate to have commercial grade aquaculture facilities at my work site. He died, but from other accidental causes. The second male fully (?) recovered a year ago and is paired at the moment. When he had anorexia he fed poorly, with a gap of between 2 to 4 weeks between feeding. This went on for about a year. He got very skinny. Now, awaiting eggs from his mate. Successful breeding, by him and his mate, will be the real test to see if he is functionally recovered.
Anyone experiencing this problem, but losing the adult axoltls should, if they can bear it, do a post mortem. The problem could be as simple as a gut blockage. (Small stones etc.) You cannot put Humpty back together again- but you can take steps to avoid future blockages and losses, if that's the cause of the problem.

aviark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: willowcat has shown reliable knowledgewillowcat has shown reliable knowledge

What are the species that your aquaculture facilities culture? May I ask what you do there? (if I don't get back too you soon, I am not ignoring you, I am hitting the sack)

willowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014   #23 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: Sylerwin has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowcat View Post
Has anyone seen a pattern on what types usually quit eating first? Like, maybe, albino..
I lost a melanoid first, then a leucistic.
after that I had a wild stop eating for a few weeks then start, and now I have a dirty lucy acting up

Old 23rd June 2015   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: IgosDuIkana is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: How to: Force feed an adult axolotl

GŁero, my leucistic stopped eating for almost three weeks, since I wasn't able to find eating pills or powder food i decided to use Tubifex. I followed the procedure and taked a little bit of tubifex in the syringe, with enough water of course, then I pumped it slowly into GŁero's mouth, i made sure he has swallowed it all and then I left him at peace. I made that for two to three days, now he eats by his own.

Conclusion: Don't be afraid to try it with Tubifex :)

Sorry for the bad english...

Last edited by IgosDuIkana; 23rd June 2015 at 23:45. Reason: bad grammar XD
IgosDuIkana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: HitmanSougo13 has given good advice and informationHitmanSougo13 has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgosDuIkana View Post
GŁero, my leucistic stopped eating for almost three weeks, since I wasn't able to find eating pills or powder food i decided to use Tubifex. I followed the procedure and taked a little bit of tubifex in the syringe, with enough water of course, then I pumped it slowly into GŁero's mouth, i made sure he has swallowed it all and then I left him at peace. I made that for two to three days, now he eats by his own.

Conclusion: Don't be afraid to try it with Tubifex :)

Sorry for the bad english...
Very cool idea IgosDukana! I am glad the force feeding helped your Axie! =D a vet once told me that amphibians can forget how to eat after not eating for a while so they can be encouraged to eat again.

HitmanSougo13 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack