The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Weird looking/sore gill on my Axolotl

This is a discussion on Weird looking/sore gill on my Axolotl within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hey fellas, it's been a while since I write on this forum, and I just have this big question, because ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: asprine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weird looking/sore gill on my Axolotl

Hey fellas, it's been a while since I write on this forum, and I just have this big question, because one of my axolotls has this weird looking, kinda awful looking, sore gill... I've attached some pics here for further info, and also I must note that the axolotl's behaviour has been perfectly normal, eating fine, resting and everything looks normal, he's even gaining a bit of weight.

If he's sick, what can I do to make this sore thing go away? Or should I just leave it?

Thanks

Mario

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by asprine; 2nd March 2011 at 20:15. Reason: Photos don't come up
asprine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Weird looking/sore gill on my Axolotl

That does look very odd. I wonder if the gill was damaged at some point and developed in such an peculiar way. How long has this been growing?

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: asprine is an unknown quantity at this point

For about a month or so, given that the axolotls regrow their lose limbs i thought it'd grow back to its original state, but it didn't. It doesn't seem to affect it, he's a very happy little one, and he's always in a cheery mood, and eating fine... just like usual. I'm not all too worried, but it's a bit concerning. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

asprine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lapidus is an unknown quantity at this point

What happened with your axolotl? I have a similar problem with my new animal!

Is it something serious? Can anyone give me some advice on what to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Weird looking/sore gill on my Axolotl-dscn5602.jpg   Weird looking/sore gill on my Axolotl-dscn5609.jpg  

Lapidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015   #5 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Keep a close eye for fungus. As a prophalactic I always add a tablespoon of aquarium salt, marine salt, or pure salt (Kosher, rock salt, or solar salt) per ten gallons of water. For fungus treat with Furan 2 or methylene blue. Furan 2 will treat fungus and bacteria and would be my first choice. Methylene blue will treat fungus but will crash your biofilter.

If you don't see major changes just keep an eye on it. Don't get so concerned that you try "cures" that might compromise the health of your animal.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AngelAce is an unknown quantity at this point

The little things on your axolotls are they still there? the same thing is happening to my axolotl and all the little things on her gills are gone.

AngelAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Claire24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seeing this thread, It is the closest thing I can see to what is wrong with the one I was given the other week. It doesnt seem to affect him, and honestly looks like its swollen and scabby with blood filling it. Can you please let me know what happened to your axolotl or how you treated it?

Claire24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gills

LinkBack