The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Bubble gut= trouble staying at bottom of tank

This is a discussion on Bubble gut= trouble staying at bottom of tank within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Started: yesterday afternoon. I first noticed when: My axie was hiding in a tube, and when he got out, he ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: juca1658 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Bubble gut= trouble staying at bottom of tank

Started: yesterday afternoon.
I first noticed when: My axie was hiding in a tube, and when he got out, he surfaced way too fast. Yesterday evening it seems that the right side of his abdomen (when facing me) was bigger and makes him "float" slightly to one side.
Progression: Today, if he stays still, his tail surfaces first than his body. He's wrestless trying to go to the bottom of the tank.
Background: His last feeding was March 30. Not a new diet. Crickets (thorax only) and one small earthworm. The tank temp is at 70 Farenheit.
Hypothesis: I'm guessing since he was eating the crickets from the surface, he swallowed a lot of air and now has a "bubble gut" which from one day to another went from his stomach, making the center of his body float, to the lower intestines, making his tail-end float more than the rest of his body.
Question: He's never had this problem for so long, is it harmful?

Old 5th April 2011   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Shizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.orgShizeric is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Bubble gut= trouble staying at bottom of tank

The diet you are feeding is inappropriate, as well as the temperature of the tank. I would say feeding from the top of the tank could cause him to ingest a good deal of air, and perhaps cause the bubble. I have also heard of chitin from the crickets causing impaction, so that could cause a problem. I would stop feeding the crickets and stick strictly to earthworms. You also need to try and lower the temperature of the tank, as it is not going to help the healing process having a warm tank.

Shizeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floating axolotl, gas, intestinal, swallow air

LinkBack