The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Burying head in corner?

This is a discussion on Burying head in corner? within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi I have a new axie he has been in his tank for 2 days and has made gaps in ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st January 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: reb2g08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Burying head in corner?

Hi I have a new axie he has been in his tank for 2 days and has made gaps in the pebbles in each corner of the tank and keeps burying his head and floating his legs up.

The water parameters are all fine and I thought it might be due to light so I turned the light off in the room but he is still doing it.

Is this normal or is it because he is getting used to the tank?

Thanks in advance.

reb2g08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: DRJplec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Burying head in corner?

Have you got any other axolotl in there

If you have

Are the about the same size????
Is there enough food ?????

But most likly just trying to settle in my opinion im sure other people be along soon

DRJplec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

He is just by himself.

The pet shop had him with 2 other axies in a tank with loads of river shrimp.
As recommended by the shop I have fed him only 5 shrimp so far but over the past 2 days he has regurgitated 15 shrimp. Must have been in his stomach from the pet shop.
I have tried to feed him bloodworm today but he is not interested.

I am going to try him on earthworms tomorrow as I don't think the shrimp are a good idea.
So worried about him!

Old 1st January 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: DRJplec is an unknown quantity at this point

If hes floating abit sounds like trapped air

And thats not good with the shrimp thing back to where you bought them was there and stones pebbles anything he could swallow in the tank

If so that may be causimg problems if so you will have to fridge him

:)

DRJplec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

He was on sand in the pet store.
He has now stopped doing that and is doing little jumps that look like hiccups every 5 minutes or so.
Should I be worried?

Old 1st January 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: natjobe has shown reliable knowledge

He was on sand and now on pebbles? Like regular aquarium gravel?

natjobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I'm not an expert, but it sounds like the axolotl is constipated.

If the pebbles are small enough for him to swallow, that could cause blockage and I would get them out of there ASAP. General rule is they can swallow anything smaller than their head. I have some river rocks (and sand) in my tank and they're very nice, and my axolotl will never grow big enough to swallow them. :)

If you suspect he's swallowed a pebble, I would fridge him. Sadly, it can be fatal, which is why it's important to remove the pebbles if they are small enough to swallow.

Click the image to open in full size.

If he accidentally swallowed a pebble, maybe the shrimp came up when trying to regurgitate the stone ?

It might just be "normal" constipation that will resolve itself. Sometimes mine gulps too much air when getting excited during feeding time (she seems to have figured out food drops from the sky and will swim right up to the surface when I open the lid) and this causes the "butt floats" until she burps/passes the air.

Mine had a pretty bad case of constipation near when I first got her. She didn't want to eat during it. The digging in the substrate is possibly to "hang on" to the bottom of the tank, so he doesn't float away. Do you have a hide in there ? A cave / log / pipe ? Mine will go in the hide so as to stay on ground when it gets floaty. Axolotls dislike not being able to touch the ground and will try to "hang on" or stay under something in order to do so.

Chirple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jeangenie149 has given good advice and informationjeangenie149 has given good advice and informationjeangenie149 has given good advice and information

Hi Rachael.. Sorry to hear the problems with your new axolotl.. I have been keeping Axolotls for a few years and have 10 at the moment.. If you would like to contact me (I will leave you a private message with my details) maybe you would like to phone me or if you live close by, come to visit and I can help guide you though a few things, to help with the recovery of your sick axie .. Please take the pebbles out of the tank and leave empty for the time being.
Jean :)

Last edited by jeangenie149; 2nd January 2012 at 09:49. Reason: content
jeangenie149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

I did a lot of research before and made sure that the pebbles were massive! They are huge at least double the size of his head so there is no way he could have swallowed any. I took them out anyway and have now got a bare bottom tank as I think that he didn't like the pebbles.

I think it is to do with the shrimpas he regurgitated them all and then last night he actually took the bloodworm from a feeding jar and looks much better today. He has stopped jumping and ate another cube of bloodworm today :)

I have a cave in the tank but he never goes in there for some reason he just hides under the filter.

Thank you for all your help! Will keep a close eye on him :)

Old 3rd January 2012   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

He might just be freaked out from the move. :)

Mine took a while to "settle in" and really start exploring.

Chirple is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack