The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Floating? Nervous Newbie

This is a discussion on Floating? Nervous Newbie within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi all, I just received a leuistic female axolotl the other day (Biology department has a surplus at my school) ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Smdee has shown reliable knowledge
Default Floating? Nervous Newbie

Hi all, I just received a leuistic female axolotl the other day (Biology department has a surplus at my school) and she seems to be doing well. I fed her the first time with a pellet food yesterday and it seemed all was well. Today she seems fine, but her back legs keep floating and I've found her floating near the top which hasn't been normal. Water temperature is normal, I have turned off the filter until I can fix the high current problem I have with it, and everything else seems normal. I have her in a 10-gallon tank, no substrate as of yet.

Through some research, I figure she might be constipated or have gas. I've placed her in a smaller container with a little bit of cool water so that it covers her and her back legs can touch the bottom. I'm still rather nervous about all of this, so I was just wondering if anyone else had tips? She doesn't seem overly stressed...but I worry anyway. Any help or suggestions would be great!

Smdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgChirple is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Floating? Nervous Newbie

Yep, probably gas. :)

Mine got this a lot when I first had her - I don't know if stress contributes to it, or maybe a change of diet issue.

As for filters, have you considered a sponge filter ?

Do you have any hides in the tank ? When mine had gas / constipated, she would like to go in the hide so it would keep her from floating away.

And if/when you get substrate, remember to go for sand ! No gravel as they can swallow it and choke / become impacted and die. Axolotls aren't the brightest creatures when it comes to eating whatever's in front of them, unfortunately. :P

Chirple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

She seems to be floating a lot less this morning and she did poo. She's also skinnier (though I didn't think she seemed overly bloated) so I think gas/constipation was the problem. I moved her back into her main tank and so far so good :). I bought her some worms so hopefully a little variation in diet will help.

I have a clay pot for her, but I don't think she's figured out that she can hide in it yet XD.

I'll make sure to go with sand :). Thanks for the tips! :)

Old 19th February 2012   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 7
Rep: GazerOfStars has shown reliable knowledgeGazerOfStars has shown reliable knowledge

Your not talking about MSUM, are you? I've recently gotten in contact with one of the professors about visiting their Axolotl colony.

Old 19th February 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Actually yeah XD. I'm a senior at MSUM. :)

Old 19th February 2012   #6 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 7
Rep: GazerOfStars has shown reliable knowledgeGazerOfStars has shown reliable knowledge

Neat, I went to Ndsu. Small world X)!

Old 20th February 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Awesome! Haha, that it is :)

Tags
axolotl, floating axolotl

LinkBack