The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl Fridging Guide

This is a discussion on Axolotl Fridging Guide within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; How long after adding dechlorinating chemical is it ok to put Mocha and Chai (my 2" 3 month olds) in. ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st April 2015   #41 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tammyaxie has started on the right path

How long after adding dechlorinating chemical is it ok to put Mocha and Chai (my 2" 3 month olds) in. One has a floating problem, the other has a sink/diving problem. They both may be constipated. I used tank water to fridge Mocha for a few hours last night and saw to lumps after a couple of hours. Thought he/she was good to go but he/she is floating again. Chai is a constant crawler but when gulping air she makes a nose dive and sinks like a dumbell. So this morning I'll be fridging them both with the help of this guide. I just want tot know if I have to wait for the Prime or is the effect immediate? Btw is the size/age ratio correct? The store told me they were 2-3 months and I measured them yesterday. Both are 2 inches.

tammyaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015   #42 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Cwall88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl Fridging Guide

Hey everyone, I am a novice salamander owner who started out with one axolotl about 7 months ago, I have since then added 2 more to my aquarium. I have a large 50 gallon with an external filter and slate floor; an axolotls dream. Salazaar my first axolotl has been great hence the additions, he is already 8 inches long at just 8 months old! I added the second, Toby, in September and the third, Athena, 6 weeks ago. I came home 4 days ago and noticed that Salazaar seemed to have the ick, the first time any thing like this has occurred. I set up two separate 10 gallon holding tanks one for Salazaar the sick one, and one for the other two who seemed to be fine. After a day Salazaar seemed on his death bed, staying at the top and barely moving or breathing, I decided the best option was to fridge him. I checked my fridge and it was right at 5.5 degrees Celsius so I put him in there and waited giving him daily water changes and today I arrived home to find him dead after just 3 days in the fridge. What went wrong and has anything like this ever happened to any of y'all? Insight please

Cwall88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015   #43 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information

From my understanding it is unlikely that axolotls can get ich. Do you have any photos you could post? Have you tested the parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH and temperature?

Old 4th December 2015   #44 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Cwall88 is an unknown quantity at this point

No i regret fully didn't get any pictures, it was white fluff all over the gills. Today when I got home the white fluff had spread to cover body of the axolotl. It was some sort of fungal infection. I checked all water parameters and everything check out good. Keep the water a little on the low side, between 65-67. The other two axolotls are still perfectly fine. When fridging I used bottled water so that should be all good.

Cwall88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015   #45 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information

Yes it sounds like a fungal infection. These usually occur due to a break in their protective slime coat which can be caused by trauma or injury, damage from poor water quality or as a secondary infection due to other illness.

Old 4th December 2015   #46 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

Doesn't seem like you cycled your tank, are you aware of the Nitrogen cycle?

Do you test your water for Ammonia, Nitrites, NitrAtes, and PH ?

LinkBack