The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Young axolotl floating, bottom up?

This is a discussion on Young axolotl floating, bottom up? within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi guys, Just posting about Gally, my five and a half inch Golden Albino who has been a new addition ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2013   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 3
Rep: Petersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Young axolotl floating, bottom up?

Hi guys,

Just posting about Gally, my five and a half inch Golden Albino who has been a new addition to her 2.5 foot tank for 3 or so weeks now.

Gally eats very well generally and seems to be growing at a good rate since I got him. However, the last three nights I have been noticing that he has been floating, usually just on the surface of the water, but also with his bottom up. It may be because I had a bit of a change in their feeding when I had to stop feeding him for a day because he swallowed two large prawns and I had to wait for them to pass through his system - I could literally see the prawns as lumps in his tummy, they were so big. This happened two days ago.
Ever since he has been fed two worms a day.

He shares a tank with my 7" Wildtype, Toothless. His substrate is sand, the usual temp is 20 degrees celsius and the water parameters are 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 10 Nitrate. The tank is fitted with two filters, a block of PolyFilter and a small colony of Ceropods. He is usually fed two earthworms a day, in the morning.

Now, I know that floating with the bottom up is a sign of constipation but this appears to have happened for the past three nights, and I don't seem to be finding as much poop as I would expect for two axolotls. Do you have any advice? It always seems to happen between 9 - 12 at night too.

Old 13th August 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Isabella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Young axolotl floating, bottom up?

Did you try fridging?

Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotls, constipation, floating axolotl, floating with bottom up

LinkBack