The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

My Axolotl has turned quite red and wont eat

This is a discussion on My Axolotl has turned quite red and wont eat within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; The past month I've been trying out some axolotl pellets and they seem fine. Last Friday I was in a ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: JoeDailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy My Axolotl has turned quite red and wont eat

The past month I've been trying out some axolotl pellets and they seem fine. Last Friday I was in a rush to feed them because I needed to leave and wouldn't be back till Sunday. I was feeding the pellets and my GFP axolotl hacked up a bunch of compounded pellets. So I figured he'd want something else and went and bought some earthworms. I needed to leave and he wouldn't eat so I tossed two worms(cut up) in the tank.

I came back Sunday and they were eaten. Then I fed them both some pellets and today(Wednesday) The GFP was very skidish and hidden. He wouldn't eat pellets or worms. Then when he came out he was very red.

Here are some pictures:
Click the image to open in full size.

This Is him normally (top):

I've put him in the fridge and have been taking him out to make sure it's not too cold.

What kind of sickness is this? What can I do? What do you guys think about administering penicillin(in water) in the case it's bacterial?

water was a little high at 70 degrees. Ammonia and Nitrates safe.

JoeDailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axololt, sick, sick axie

LinkBack