The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axie mouth injury - serious?

This is a discussion on Axie mouth injury - serious? within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Last night I noticed my axolotl was a bit more spirted than normal. She was swimming around more frantically than ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Misterbluesky is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Axie mouth injury - serious?

Last night I noticed my axolotl was a bit more spirted than normal. She was swimming around more frantically than usual, gulping air from the top, and acting strange. She ate her worm like normal when I fed her.

This morning I checked on her only to discover that she has an injury on her top lip. It almost looks as though she's split it or torn it. There was a little blood this morning, but it seems to have all washed away now. I don't know if the injury is the result of her bashing into a log/rock during her strange swimming, or if the swimming was her flipping out over the injury - but either way, it looks pretty darn awful.

I know that axolotls can regenerate limbs, tails, and parts of their organs, but does this regenerative ability extend to all parts of their body, and will her mouth heal completely?

What are the signs of infection, and should I consider refrigerating her if it does become infected?

Misterbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Tephra has given consistently excellent advice and informationTephra has given consistently excellent advice and informationTephra has given consistently excellent advice and informationTephra has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Axie mouth injury - serious?

All parts can regenerate, not to worry.

I would give her some tea baths, and keep her in cold, clear water to speed up the healing process.

Axolotls easily get fungus on open wounds however, be on the lookout for it. It will most likely look white and cottony. If that becomes the case, you should proceed onto salt baths.

But as long as no fungus appears, just tea baths.

And keep her fed, she needs the energy to heal.

If you can, post some pictures.

Tephra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Misterbluesky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axie mouth injury - serious?

This is the clearest picture I could take, with her doing her usual glides across the bottom.

She's still eating normally and seems no worse for the injury.
I can only hope she doesn't get a fungus or infection, and I'll watch her very closely. The water's been getting a little warmer than I'd like lately, but I've been keeping the AC on, a fan pointed at the water, and occasional ice bottles in the tank.

What kind of tea do you use for a tea bath?
Attached Thumbnails
Axie mouth injury - serious?-img_0335-2.jpg  

Misterbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: emmyk has shown reliable knowledge

Black tea, no additives

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

emmyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags