The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

I have tried everything- i think...axolotl floating

This is a discussion on I have tried everything- i think...axolotl floating within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; For the past two months, I have been trying to nurse my axolotl back to health. I change the water ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Reptileguy123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation I have tried everything- i think...axolotl floating

For the past two months, I have been trying to nurse my axolotl back to health. I change the water every month, but they have a 55 rated internal filter which is turned to the lowest setting. I have two axolotls living together, both aprox. 3 1/2 to 4 inches long (8.89cm to 10.6cm). The problem- floating. I know it has to do with the stomach and all, but I just don't know whats going on. It may be bladder infection, but idk. it doesn't go away. Heres what I have done- I took a container, filled it with cold dechorinated water 1inch deep (2.54cm), and feed the axie rosie red minnows and replaced the water everyday. it was not in the fridge, and no salt. WHat do I do? what is the diagnosis for this? btw, I leave him/ ger in there for three days, and then I put him/her back in the tank. she/he is fine for a couple days, but then trues to go to the suface for air. Im thinking they need for oxygen? Help meh please

Reptileguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Elise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: I have tried everything- i think...axolotl floating

What's the temperature in your tank. Can you also include a few pictures of your axolotls?

Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Reptileguy123 is an unknown quantity at this point

the temp is right now is around 73 degrees, which is what the house temp is. Not sure how to post a picture...

Reptileguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Kaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and information

73 (F) is far too warm for them. Axolotls should be kept around 60-64 degrees Fahrenheit at all times or they're open to health problems.

Changing the water once a month seems too long to me. Is your tank cycled? How are the water parameters in the tank? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?) Do you test these regularly?

I would address the temp right now, you need to keep them cool. Room temp won't cut it. You need a chiller or an aquarium fan or two.

Old 27th January 2014   #5 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Elise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgElise is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I've included a link that will help you with images: How to Post Pictures

Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

If you're moving axolotls between water of different temperatures, you really risk killing them with thermal shock.

Minnows aren't a good food. Switch to something more palatable, like earthworms.

Axolotls don't have bladders, regular or swim.

Are you confusing floating with surfacing for gulps of air?

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floating axolotl, help my axies, sick axie

LinkBack