The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

HELP! Axolotl eating problem.

This is a discussion on HELP! Axolotl eating problem. within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi all, I've got a 3 year old albino axie who has recently shown some issues at mealtime. I have ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By jAfFa CaKe
  • 1 Post By Boomsloth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th April 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: IanK is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation HELP! Axolotl eating problem.

Hi all,

I've got a 3 year old albino axie who has recently shown some issues at mealtime. I have been feeding him bloodworms for his entire life, and his current diet consists of two frozen cubes of bloodworms given to him once every two days.

Recently, he has either not been finishing all of the worms, or (I suspect at times) vomiting some of them back up.

I really do not know what is going on, his living conditions are all well otherwise. Is he too old to still be eating bloodworms? If so, what should I start feeding him, and how to transfer him over to this diet?

Thank you all for helping.

-Ian and Felix

IanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014   #2 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: jAfFa CaKe has given good advice and informationjAfFa CaKe has given good advice and information
Default Re: HELP! Axolotl eating problem.

At 3 years old he should have been off bloodworms. They lack the nutrition he needs. To transfer onto Earthworms, to do this, buy some earthworms, and let it wiggle in front of his face, he should go for it.

jAfFa CaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: leandrah has shown reliable knowledgeleandrah has shown reliable knowledge

Also, feeding him once every 2 weeks isnt regular enough. You should be feeding him every day, or every second day.

Can you please post a picture of him?

leandrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: IanK is an unknown quantity at this point

Are earthworms the only option?

I feed him 2 cubes every 2 days, not 2 weeks.

IanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014   #5 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: jAfFa CaKe has given good advice and informationjAfFa CaKe has given good advice and information

It's not the only option but they are VERY nutritious and are not too hard to get.

jAfFa CaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Boomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanK View Post
Are earthworms the only option?

I feed him 2 cubes every 2 days, not 2 weeks.
Water temp will effect how frequent your axolotl will eat. But at 3 years I can safely say that 2 cubes cannot be enough if my axolotls at 3-4 months were eating that much daily. Worms are not the only option but in my opinion are the easiest and are all the nutrition axolotls need. You can buy a pellet diet but that will require you ordering them online whenever you run low. Here's what you need to start a worm farm that can last you indefinitely:

buy a large plastic storage container (more room = more worms and more area for mistakes)
drill some holes in the lid (some people also drill on the bottom to allow liquid drainage)
add some top soil
add enough worms that will be fed and be able to breed for 4 months without running out
whenever you feed your axolotl (or every other day) turn over the soil to give the worms some air
throw in food scraps

the container can be anywhere from $10-15 or if you already have one is free
The soil is dirt cheap because its just dirt (mine was $1.50)
The worms should be bought in bulk initially and a good number to start at is 500-1000 worms. I started with 2000 and might have to order some more but I also have many more mouths to feed so 500 should be enough although 1000 is only $5 more online and you can never have too many...

so $40 for basically endless food is not a bad deal at all.

Here's where I got my worms
Live Worms | Uncle Jims Worm Farm

Boomsloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axie, axolotl, food, sick, sick axie, sick axolotl

LinkBack