The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Bad things are happening and idk why

This is a discussion on Bad things are happening and idk why within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; so laitly my axolotl have been a bit fussy, one of them keeps freeking out, swimming fast into things and ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sweetie
  • 2 Post By HayleyK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Azsinderkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Bad things are happening and idk why

so laitly my axolotl have been a bit fussy, one of them keeps freeking out, swimming fast into things and almost out of the water, now he has red marks on his tail, idk if the others are nipping at him or if he is hurting himself. out of nowhere one of the axolotl has gotten a cottony fungus on his gills, the others seem very agitated. water test is fine, water keeps below 70, this all came out of nowhere, anybody have any idea what it could be?

Azsinderkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Bad things are happening and idk why

Most problems are from water temp, water quality, or over feeding. It is tough to guess what is going on.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

I guess it may be over feeding then, because my water quality was fine, and temp stays low, I have 4 in a 33 long aquarium, and do extra water changes and keep a close eye on my tank tests.

Old 24th June 2014   #4 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Do you think your tank has cycled? Do you have good biological filtration?

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

tank isn't cycled, they got moved into the new tank about 2 weeks ago. iv got 2 low flow filters with extra carbon and ammonia sponges, and a sponge filter for may air stone. the ammonia is still lower than a dangerous point, and bairly nitrite or nitrate.

Old 24th June 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Sweetie has shown reliable knowledge

When you say 'lower than a dangerous point' and barely any nitrites or nitrates, what are your exact readings? The symptoms you describe sound like high ammonia levels.

Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Unhappy Re: Bad things are happening and idk why

I guess, it could be from ammonia, I did a large water change this morning, so hopefully that will help my bf does the readings for me, because we lost the color card. I feel like a horrible owner,

ok, now I want to fix the problem, 2 so far have a fungal infection, iv done salt baths before, but I am strongly against them. last time I used pimafix, but only half the dosage, iv started that. but, iv been told that that isn't safe eather, but it fixed my problem last time, without much trouble. any other fixes that are safer?

Old 25th June 2014   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: HayleyK has given good advice and informationHayleyK has given good advice and information

Salt baths are what you're supposed to use in case of fungi, not pimafix.

I agree with sweetie, it sounds like high aonia reading. The water is so toxic/irritating it's literally trying to jump out. You need to do daily water changes and you need a chart with readings.

HayleyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

meh, ok, ill salt bath them, I just hate it so much because they hate it. ill try to make up a chart.
how much water change per day?

Old 25th June 2014   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: HayleyK has given good advice and informationHayleyK has given good advice and information

That's why you need a chart to read your test levels. If it's something ridiculous like 4ppm ammonia then you would need a huge water change. If it was 1ppm then not as much. You change water volume according to your readings.

HayleyK is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack