The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

No eating after breeding

This is a discussion on No eating after breeding within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; My female just finished laying her eggs about 4 days ago. Ever since then, she has been refusing food. She ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Geckogal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No eating after breeding

My female just finished laying her eggs about 4 days ago. Ever since then, she has been refusing food. She just kinda of makes a face like she is blowing away the earthworms. I have tried my smaller European nighcrawlers from my farm as well as buying Canadian nighcrawlers, which she usually loves.
The water parameters are ph of 7.2, ammonia and nitrites 0, and the nitrates are a bit below 40.

I know breeding is very stressful and I am worried about her, since she was always a voracious eater. Any suggestions of what I can do to prompt her to eat?

Geckogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: No eating after breeding

Did you do a large water change after breeding? A lot of biomass is released in the tank when the eggs are laid. I find it is best to do a huge water change and rinse the biological filter medium after egg laying.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

I have only done a small one. (5 gallons for a 55 gallon tank). My larger change wasn't due until next week. I will give that a try.

Thank you.

Old 25th June 2014   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Unfortunately I can still not get her to eat.

Old 1st July 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

The nitrates are back down to about .20, but I have only gotten her to eat once since I posted this.

I put a divider between her and the male. Could it be stressful to her to be separated from the other?

LinkBack