The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Is he sick?

This is a discussion on Is he sick? within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi everyone My turn to post here. I hope I am just being paranoid but I have noticed my Wildtype ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skudo09

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th June 2014   #1 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Is he sick?

Hi everyone

My turn to post here. I hope I am just being paranoid but I have noticed my Wildtype has been acting unusual for a few days or so. He has been eating until today. I am not overly concerned that he didn't eat as he does have the odd day here and there he just doesn't want anything but he freaked out majorly zooming around the tank each time I went remotely near him but also didn't seem to be swimming quite right. He is resting oddly too.

Their parameters seem all in check - ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate ~20, PH 7.5 and temperature is 15.5C. They are in a tank with sand. The best description is that he looks weighted down when swimming and he basically just rests his chest on the ground and almost like he is not weight bearing on this legs, particularly his front legs. I never feed them directly on the sand, I hand feed them earthworms from my worm farm. I can't think of anything that has changed. I have attached a picture although it is not the best quality. Could it possibly be sand impaction? He doesn't appear bloated or floating in any way at all. I am probably being paranoid but I have never had an axolotl act like this before and I am a worry wort when it comes to my pets.

I appreciate any suggestions, advice
Attached Thumbnails
Is he sick?-image.jpg  

Old 29th June 2014   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Is he sick?

phew! Turns out I think I was just being paranoid. After a week of acting strange and looking like he was weighted down he has returned to normal :)

Old 29th June 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: spot26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Could have been a bad worm??

spot26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:

It may have been I guess but will probably never know. But he is back to normal so all is good :)

LinkBack