The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Sick axie! please help!

This is a discussion on Sick axie! please help! within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I noticed that my axie (Zora) was very swollen the other day and saw that she was trying to poop ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skudo09

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Baobei16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sick axie! please help!

I noticed that my axie (Zora) was very swollen the other day and saw that she was trying to poop but couldnt. I read some post about axolotl constipation and decided to fridge her and she did finally poop.

My problem is that after she pooped, her swelling hasn't gone down at all. In fact it seems to have gotten worse. And her underside seems to be collecting blood.
She's not floating and is active despite looking like a deformed balloon.

She is still being fridged with 100% water changes daily. She hasn't been fed since being fridged which is about 3 days ago. Before that, she was being fed bloodworms.

She is about 4 and a half months old.

Please, someone help!
Attached Thumbnails
Sick axie! please help!-img_20140710_020601.jpg   Sick axie! please help!-img_20140710_020615.jpg   Sick axie! please help!-img_20140710_020857.jpg  

Baobei16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014   #2 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Sick axie! please help!

That axie needs to see a vet ASAP.

Old 12th July 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Velice has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejude View Post
That axie needs to see a vet ASAP.
Not to be rude but what exactly do you see a vet being able to do here? I'm not an expert but I don't think there is much you can do once there is internal bleeding. I think your axolotl is probably suffering and if it were mine, I would look into euthanasia.

Velice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information

I agree with Auntiejude, get Zora to a vet ASAP.

Velice, on the small chance they could offer something, I would recommend seeing a vet. Even if they are not able to offer any treatment they should be able to offer a safe, humane method of euthanasia.

LinkBack