The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Eggs or sick??

This is a discussion on Eggs or sick?? within the Sick Axolotl? forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; So I discovered what appears to be white slime in my tank today, and my tank was super cloudy (both ...

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th August 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Emilydonaghy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Eggs or sick??

So I discovered what appears to be white slime in my tank today, and my tank was super cloudy (both of which weren't the case yesterday) the slime has black pieces in it, but I have black sand in my tank. I'm not sure what to think (new axolotl owner). I bought the axolotls at the same time and age, and one is almost twice the size of the other. Now the bigger one is eating like a beast. She's eating probably three times what she usually is. I'm wondering if they're sick, and I should change the water in the tank which is very cloudy, or if I should be concerned about changing the water if there are eggs. I'm attaching pictures. If anybody could help that would be great!!! I'm a very worried momma

There's a lot more of these slime balls, just took a picture of a few. (If the pictures don't show let me know, I'm new to the forum
Attached Thumbnails
Eggs or sick??-image.jpg  

Emilydonaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2014   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: Bette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and information
Default Re: Eggs or sick??

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it kinda looks like an old bit of food(pellet?)that has fungus growing on it.
I think you should do a water change. Do you have a turkey baster to use for spot cleaning?

Old 15th August 2014   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Bette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and information

Also, make sure that you check the water parameters BEFORE you do a water change.

Old 15th August 2014   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

I used a gravel cleaner to clean the tank a few days ago, their ammonia was a little high, thats why I found it weird.

Old 16th August 2014   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilydonaghy View Post
I used a gravel cleaner to clean the tank a few days ago, their ammonia was a little high, thats why I found it weird.
Yes, that is strange. You did say that you are feeding alot and often, right? Are you feeding pellets? Feeding alot of pellets can quickly foul the water. Have you tried using a feeding jar, or feeding dish?
I have been feeding mine more worms for better nutrition and water quality.
What kind of filter are you running?

Old 16th August 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

I have been feeding them pellets, usually every day. I feed them usually two or three apiece. That's about what the big one eats, the other just nibbles. I'm usually pretty good about doing water changes every week, since the water does get pretty mucky. I've been looking into getting them a dish, but I've been concerned about them finding the food. It's a 55 gallon tank and neither is over an inch and a half, so I don't know if they'll learn to find a dish. I have an aqua top IFS20, with a rotatable bar pointed toward the wall, but it is a really big tank.

Tags
help and advice needed, sick

LinkBack