The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Sponge Filter?

This is a discussion on Sponge Filter? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hey guys! I've been looking into getting a new filter for Toothless, and I've read some threads on here already ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bette

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: JayFaye has started on the right path
Default Sponge Filter?

Hey guys! I've been looking into getting a new filter for Toothless, and I've read some threads on here already about it, but I was wondering your suggestions? From what I've read on here, it sounds like people tend to favor sponge filters. They sound pretty nice, but I've also never used one! Do you feel they're pretty simple/worth it? Should something else be paired with it (in terms of additional filtration)?

Or do you have even a totally different suggestion for filters? :) Let me know what works best for your axies!

JayFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Sponge Filter?

Sponge filters provide fantastic biological filtration and don't create much currant in the water. However they aren't the best at mechanical filtration, so it wont remove quite as much debris etc.. -Seth

Old 16th January 2015   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: Bette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and information

My favorite filter for axie tanks is one or two ATI pro hydro sponge filters, hooked up to a Fusion air pump (they are sooo quiet). You will need to do weekly 20% water changes minimum with this setup.... but you should be doing this anyway for optimal axolotl health.
On one of my tanks, I have a small low-flow HOB filter with a sponge pre-filter on the intake which is working nicely too. If you have a HOB with stronger flow, you can rig up a cut pvc pipe, etc, which can effectively break the strong current created from the waterfall effect. There is a good thread on the forum somewhere about this.

Note: if you are cycling your tank with the axolotl in the tank, you will need to do more frequent water changes until the cycle has been established.

Old 17th January 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: JayFaye has started on the right path

That's what I had read, Seth, so I was wondering if there was a good way to still provide the mechanical, or if sucking up all the gross stuff on a regular basis would do the trick(?).

Bette, I'll go check that out! I was hoping for a quieter one. And yeah, doing those water changes is already a weekly norm, so that's fine. Does one of your tanks just have those sponge filters then? Additionally, do you think that's enough? :)

JayFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2015   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: Bette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and information

Yes, the sponge filters are enough. Most of my axolotl tanks have only one or two sponge filters.

Old 17th January 2015   #6 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Sponge filters take out some stuff, just not a lot. Their suction isn't as good as a power filters.
If you have a siphon then you can just suck out the bad stuff while doing a water change. If not, then a turkey baster works well too. Also, if you have a bare bottom tank then all the bad stuff will be easy to spot and suck up, so a power filter isn't really necessary.

Tags
axolotl, axolotl filter, filter, sponge filter

LinkBack