The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Moving to a new tank!

This is a discussion on Moving to a new tank! within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hey guys! So I just bought a new tank (and new sand) for Toothless and am wondering what's the best/fastest ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LSuzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th January 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: JayFaye has started on the right path
Default Moving to a new tank!

Hey guys! So I just bought a new tank (and new sand) for Toothless and am wondering what's the best/fastest way to get the new tank cycled. I don't really want to use fish for cycling...
I know putting my existing filter into it can jump start the cycling process, but then Toothless will be left without a filter, and unless it gets cycled within a couple days I don't really want to leave her without one. I'm also hoping to get a new sponge filter though, so maybe if I put that into my existing tank and get it cycled through I could have a filter to put in the new one?

But anyway! Suggestions?

JayFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2015   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information
Default Re: Moving to a new tank!

Usually you can just move the filter to the new tank and call it done. Yes, you should monitor the ammonia etc closely after you do this, but most of the good bacteria should be in the filter, so as long as you don't do something silly, like overfeeding, the filter should be able to handle the the new tank even before the bacteria colonize the tank surfaces and substrate..

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, cycle, filter, new tank, tank cycle

LinkBack