The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Water Quality Questions

This is a discussion on Water Quality Questions within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi, everyone! Right now I'm little confused about my water quality and Currently my water test shows that there is ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sully
  • 1 Post By cabbysarus
  • 1 Post By sde

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Huskar is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Water Quality Questions

Hi, everyone! Right now I'm little confused about my water quality and Currently my water test shows that there is no ammonia, no nitrite but little nitrate around 5, also water hardness is at around 150 and total alkalinity is at 40 and ph at 7.8

What is the optimum water quality for Axolotls? and what do I need to change in my water quality? also what can I do to meet the best quality?

Thank you for taking time!

Huskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: sully has started on the right path
Default Re: Water Quality Questions

I would assume the best water quality would be to keep everything in the safe zones as it is for a fish aquarium ( should be on the test kit). That one I'm not 100% sure but the best way to fix it is doing frequent partial water changes. Also removing left over food and poop as you notice it. Hope this helps a little

sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: cabbysarus has started on the right path

ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph are great :) I'm not sure about the other two levels, but they sound fine to me.

cabbysarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

In a cycled tank, the Ammonia should be 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm, Nitrate <40 ppm, pH 6-8 ppm ( and consistent ). However having the Nitrate higher that 5 ppm is probably a good idea, that way your tank can handle more bio load if necessary.
Partial water changes should be done every week to keep the Nitrate level below 40. At least 10% of the water should be removed and replenished with dechlorinated water.
Here are some useful links if you haven't seen them already :)

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Caudata Culture Articles - Bottled Water for Amphibians -Seth

Tags
axolotl, help a member out, help and advice needed, water conditions, water quality

LinkBack