The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Best Live Plants For Axolotls?

This is a discussion on Best Live Plants For Axolotls? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi, I am currently planning to plant some live plants in my 40 gallon tank with two axies in it ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jamessamlev
  • 1 Post By Sweetie
  • 1 Post By Trams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th June 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Huskar is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Best Live Plants For Axolotls?

Hi, I am currently planning to plant some live plants in my 40 gallon tank with two axies in it and I was wondering what are the best plants for them?

The ideal plants I am looking for are ones that can live in low light, temperature around 60~64 that is tall and has broad leaves for my axolotls to lean and hang on to.

I would much appreciate it for varieties of different plants and thank you for taking time.

Huskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jamessamlev is an unknown quantity at this point

Elodea, and sword plants are good, Elodea is easy to take put if they end up breeding

jamessamlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Sweetie has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Best Live Plants For Axolotls?

Ferns may also work for you, such as bolbitis or microsorum. I'm also thinking of trying ceratophyllum demersum (rigid-leaved - there's also a soft-leaved version, ceratophyllum submersum), which apparently does well in low light and without substrate, grows fast and may help control algae. Or anubia nana.

Last edited by Sweetie; 15th June 2015 at 20:53. Reason: Botannical spelling
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Trams has started on the right path
Default Re: Best Live Plants For Axolotls?

In fresh water and low light I have Lilaeopsis novea zelandae, Sagittaria subulata, Vallisneria spiralis, Elodea densea (floating), Ceratophyllum demersum (floating), Myriophyllum aquaticum, Cryptocoryne wendtii and affinis, Fontinalis sp willow 2 (attached) Anubia barteri 'nana' (attached)

Good choice.

Trams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, help a member out, plants, set up

LinkBack