The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Sand??

This is a discussion on Sand?? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hello, I went out to Petco the other day to buy substrate for my aquarium. The only sand they really ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blushed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th June 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: sydneysvoboda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sand??

Hello, I went out to Petco the other day to buy substrate for my aquarium. The only sand they really had was their Petco sand. I returned home with it but am now realizing it looks kind of big. Should I purchase new sand or will my axolotls be okay with that? I just don't want them to swallow it and get hurt.

sydneysvoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jamessamlev is an unknown quantity at this point

If its play sand it should be ok but it has to be sand not really small rock/gravel

jamessamlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: allied123 has shown reliable knowledgeallied123 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Sand??

I have petco brand sand that works fine for me and I think I've heard about other users here using it but I like it, you can see the grains though, they aren't like microscopic but I don't think it's a concern as long as the axolotl is big enough (larger than 4-5 inches I think, mine are both around 9-10 inches but eat out of a feeding bowl to avoid ingestion as much as possible) the sand seems pretty soft and smooth

allied123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: blushed has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by allied123 View Post
I have petco brand sand that works fine for me and I think I've heard about other users here using it but I like it, you can see the grains though, they aren't like microscopic but I don't think it's a concern as long as the axolotl is big enough (larger than 4-5 inches I think, mine are both around 9-10 inches but eat out of a feeding bowl to avoid ingestion as much as possible) the sand seems pretty soft and smooth

I use petco sand. They are larger grain, even than what I originally wanted, but I really wanted white sand, so I went with it.

I also use a feeding bowl!

I've had no problems with the sand and I run my fingers through it every other water change since it is bigger and it's not hard/scratchy at all.

It seems to be heavier and doesn't "stir up" like normal sand as well, so I think that's a plus for our filters!

blushed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Creepella is an unknown quantity at this point

I use playground sand which I buy from building supply stores. It's a lot cheaper than pet shop sand and doesn't affect water quality. It's not dusty, but I still rinse it in a bucket for half an hour before using it. I use it for fish tanks, desert creatures (scorpions, bearded dragons etc.) and I use it to make cactus soil.

Advantages - it's fine and soft and doesn't get stirred up too much when I change tank water. Disadvantage (for some people) - it's a plain beige colour, so if you want colour in your decor you have to use rocks, plants etc.

Note: I read that the pet shop sand used for marine tanks is a no-no. It contains a lot of calcium and other elements that change the water quality/pH. I've read similar about sands used for reptiles.

Creepella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Icyriah has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepella View Post
I use playground sand which I buy from building supply stores. It's a lot cheaper than pet shop sand and doesn't affect water quality. It's not dusty, but I still rinse it in a bucket for half an hour before using it. I use it for fish tanks, desert creatures (scorpions, bearded dragons etc.) and I use it to make cactus soil.

Advantages - it's fine and soft and doesn't get stirred up too much when I change tank water. Disadvantage (for some people) - it's a plain beige colour, so if you want colour in your decor you have to use rocks, plants etc.

Note: I read that the pet shop sand used for marine tanks is a no-no. It contains a lot of calcium and other elements that change the water quality/pH. I've read similar about sands used for reptiles.
The sand used for reptiles is usually marketed as 'calcium sand', saying that if it ends up eating it, that the calcium in it will be good for it. Since it's man made, it's more cube shaped and will cause impaction in reptiles. And I know what sand they're talking about, but it isn't sold as marine sand, just general sand for aquariums. Doesn't say anything otherwise on the package... Hopefully it's okay, because that's what I bought! Not open yet, so I can still return it haha!

Icyriah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, set-up, substrate

LinkBack