The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

The ELUSIVE 10 Gallon Long Tank? And other tank related questions!

This is a discussion on The ELUSIVE 10 Gallon Long Tank? And other tank related questions! within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I have a few questions for you all tonight... First off, have any of you seen a 10 gallon long ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st July 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Icyriah has started on the right path
Question The ELUSIVE 10 Gallon Long Tank? And other tank related questions!

I have a few questions for you all tonight...
First off, have any of you seen a 10 gallon long tank ever in existence? I've seen measurements for it before and I thought it would be great for a smaller axolotl if I could ever find one! I keep trying to find information and people claim they don't exist anywhere but why would measurements exist for something that isn't made anywhere people know about?
Second, do you know where you can find/order 12 gallon or 15 gallon tanks? My local pet stores (Petco and a private business) only have 16 gallon bowfronts for $80ish The privately owned pet store told me that they could order a 15 gallon for me, but I don't know how much they cost on average and I don't know if I'll have time in the near future to go in and ask. I'd rather just bust into the $1 per gallon sale at Petco and grab a 10 gal for the time being if it's more than $35 for a 15 gallon...
I'm going to be at a dorm this fall and they won't allow tanks larger than 10 gallons, so I'm going to try to play dumb and say I had no idea it was a 15 gallon tank if I ever get asked.

Icyriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Creepella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The ELUSIVE 10 Gallon Long Tank? And other tank related questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icyriah View Post
I have a few questions for you all tonight...
First off, have any of you seen a 10 gallon long tank ever in existence? I've seen measurements for it before and I thought it would be great for a smaller axolotl if I could ever find one! I keep trying to find information and people claim they don't exist anywhere but why would measurements exist for something that isn't made anywhere people know about?
Second, do you know where you can find/order 12 gallon or 15 gallon tanks? My local pet stores (Petco and a private business) only have 16 gallon bowfronts for $80ish The privately owned pet store told me that they could order a 15 gallon for me, but I don't know how much they cost on average and I don't know if I'll have time in the near future to go in and ask. I'd rather just bust into the $1 per gallon sale at Petco and grab a 10 gal for the time being if it's more than $35 for a 15 gallon...
I'm going to be at a dorm this fall and they won't allow tanks larger than 10 gallons, so I'm going to try to play dumb and say I had no idea it was a 15 gallon tank if I ever get asked.
First of all, don't get me started about bowfront tanks! They're designed only to fit the parts they come with (filter, hood etc.) They're practically impossible to retrofit for a screen top or use with other animals besides fish. I have boxes of the stupid things gathering dust.

Speaking of screen tops, an inexpensive alternative is the sturdy plastic mesh interlocking tiles used for flooring in workshops and garages. You can get them at hardware stores. Two of these tiles locked together fit nicely over a 10 gal tank. I can place a small cooling fan and a recycled hood from one of my 2 gal bowfront tanks on top of it.

I've never heard of a "long" 10 gal. tank. I have three that are just the standard rectangular shape. Mine are 20x10x12 inches (l/w/h).They have plenty of room for a juvenile axie.

A good place to find deals on fish tanks is your local Craigslist. Lots of people sell them there, just make sure to ask them if the tank leaks or was used recently for fish. If you buy one make sure to test it anyway. Sometimes you can get one with a small crack or leak that you can repair with aquarium sealant. Yard sales are another place to find secondhand tanks.

Another place I've seen cheap tanks is Wal-Mart. I was surprised at their selection of aquarium supplies - better than my local Petsmart. If you don't have a Wal-Mart in your area, there are other discount and surplus stores that carry them.

It's hard to say how strict (and knowledgeable) they will be at your dorm. The difference between a rectangular 10 gal vs. 15 gal isn't very noticeable unless the staff knows what to look for.

Creepella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Icyriah has started on the right path
Default Re: The ELUSIVE 10 Gallon Long Tank? And other tank related questions!

Thanks! I just went and got a 10 gallon at Petco because of the dollar per gallon sale. Went to the pet store beforehand and asked about the price, it was $48 to order a 15 gallon

Icyriah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gallon, long, price, question, tank, ten

LinkBack