The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Planted axolotl tank

This is a discussion on Planted axolotl tank within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; So I'm currently cycling my new tank ready for when my axies arrive. I have a few different plants and ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Swag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th August 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Rebeccalou2907 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planted axolotl tank

So I'm currently cycling my new tank ready for when my axies arrive. I have a few different plants and I was wondering what I can do to help the plants grow without putting in chemicals that could harm the axies. I've heard of using fertilizers tabs and liquid, but can someone suggest/recommend/advice please :)

Rebeccalou2907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Swag has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Planted axolotl tank

Plant-specific fluorescent lighting. Apparently fertilizers and tabs will hurt axolotls, although I've never seen proof of this, people believe it to be the case. Either way, "plant food" like leaf zone and flourish will be okay just use half doses. Mostly focus on lighting and make sure that your plants are "low-tech" plants, anubius, hornwart, and java fern are some of the better, tougher plants out there that will easily live without the use of c02, fertilizers, and fancy substrates.

Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Someone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planted axolotl tank

I have an Anubis, Amazon sword, and Java fern in my axy tank. They've done really well and grown great with minimal care. All I've done are put the roots in the sand and used my led light bar to give them some light.

Someone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, axolotl, fertilizer, planted, planted tank, substrate, tank

LinkBack