The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Leca as a planted axolotl tank substrate?

This is a discussion on Leca as a planted axolotl tank substrate? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi everyone Ive been wanting to set up a planted tank for my axolotl, i was thinking about adding leca ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: simko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leca as a planted axolotl tank substrate?

Hi everyone

Ive been wanting to set up a planted tank for my axolotl, i was thinking about adding leca to the aquarium bottom (if you take leca, boil it, and pour it into cold water, it sinks). I ahve seen some leca pellets that are over 1/2" in diameter, i was wondering if this would be too large for an axolotl to ingest.

I think leca would serve as a good substrate as it is inert, very porous (im hoping this would harbour beneficial bacteria), it looks nice, and has spaces between it which im guessing would allow for plant rooting and gas escape

does anyone have experience using this stuff for a purpose like this?

thanks!

simko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Swag has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Leca as a planted axolotl tank substrate?

You can't use anything that is small enough to fit into an axolotl's mouth while being too big to ingest. Sand is really the only good option, some people use river rocks but those are a pain to keep clean as they require regular shifting around to get any food/poop that falls under it. I once thought it would be cool to use a sponge sheet cut to fit the exact floor of the aquarium, but never got around to trying it. There are options, but gravel and smaller rocks aren't them. As far as I know Leca is too small as they can eat it and won't be able to digest it, but I'm no professional when it comes to leca knowledge so use your best judgment.

Swag is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack