The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Reptile sand

This is a discussion on Reptile sand within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Hi everyone, new to the forums and new to this whole axolotl thing lol Basically I wanna get a couple ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: EversoriZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reptile sand

Hi everyone, new to the forums and new to this whole axolotl thing lol
Basically I wanna get a couple axolotls and I bought myself a 20 gallon tank and some white reptile sand for substrate. I wanted to know if this type of sand is actually safe or recommended for axolotls? It only says that it has some calcium because it is reptile sand.

EversoriZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Charlotl has started on the right path
Default Re: Reptile sand

No. The sand is not designed for aquariums and will change the water's pH. Look for fine grain fresh water aquarium sand or even cheaper normal "play sand" found in hardware stores. Whatever sand you get you will need to clean (get out the very large and rinse out the very small particles.)

Charlotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: EversoriZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Reptile sand

Oh ok thank you, I guess I'll return the reptile sand tomorrow and look for fine grain aquarium sand :)

EversoriZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotls, reptile, sand, substrate

LinkBack