The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Old filter cartridge for cycling - Please help!

This is a discussion on Old filter cartridge for cycling - Please help! within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Originally Posted by SammyTheLotus Ah, that's what I thought you meant but I wasn't sure! Yeah, I'm doing a fish-less ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2016   #21 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information
Default Re: Old filter cartridge for cycling - Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyTheLotus View Post
Ah, that's what I thought you meant but I wasn't sure! Yeah, I'm doing a fish-less (or, amphibian-less I guess!) cycle!
I wasn't sure what to use as a source of ammonia, and I read on another thread that using flakes of fish food will help your cycle along, since the flakes will decompose and give the growing bacteria a food source, therefore enabling the cycle! Does that make sense or am I way off the mark?
Yes you can use fish flakes, or a shrimp. As it decomposes Ammonia will be created beginning your cycle. I think you will need to use more fish flakes to create enough ammonia compared to a shrimp. I used to put pellets and fish flakes in a tea bag which I had sliced and emptied, so I could contain the mess but allow ammonia to filter into the water.

Read those links I posted on cycling, they will get you going and give you the basics of the Nitrogen Cycle!

Old 24th February 2016   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: SammyTheLotus has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxolotlChris View Post
Yes you can use fish flakes, or a shrimp. As it decomposes Ammonia will be created beginning your cycle. I think you will need to use more fish flakes to create enough ammonia compared to a shrimp. I used to put pellets and fish flakes in a tea bag which I had sliced and emptied, so I could contain the mess but allow ammonia to filter into the water.

Read those links I posted on cycling, they will get you going and give you the basics of the Nitrogen Cycle!
The tea bag idea is really clever, I never would have thought of that! :) Thanks for all the helpful links, I think I'm on the right track.
Do you know how often I should be changing the water while I'm cycling? I've done two 25% changes in the two weeks that I've been cycling and I'm not sure if that's enough or maybe even too much! :{

SammyTheLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016   #23 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

Water changes are to stop the Ammonia spiking, if too much Ammonia is produced it could crash the cycle by overloading and unbalancing the cycle. Around 4ppm ammonia is what you'll want in the beginning

Old 24th February 2016   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: SammyTheLotus has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxolotlChris View Post
Water changes are to stop the Ammonia spiking, if too much Ammonia is produced it could crash the cycle by overloading and unbalancing the cycle. Around 4ppm ammonia is what you'll want in the beginning
Oh okay, mine was around 0.25 as of earlier today and the highest it's been since I started was 0.50!

SammyTheLotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, cartridge, contamination?, cycle, filter, fin rot, ick

LinkBack