The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Who does NOT use Filters?

This is a discussion on Who does NOT use Filters? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Some people use filters in their tank and others dont, so what do you use?, with or without? If you ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

View Poll Results: Do you use a filter in your Axolotl tank?

Yes 34 89.47%
No 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By xxianxx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: stevenwignet has posted a lot of bad advice/info, or has repeatedly behaved in an unacceptable manner
Default Who does NOT use Filters?

Some people use filters in their tank and others dont, so what do you use?, with or without?
If you have a filter what is your reasons for using one and if you go filter free what is your reasons for not having one?

stevenwignet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information
Default Re: Who does NOT use Filters?

People don't use filters because It's generally accepted that water flow will stress Axolotl, this is quite often the case although there are many keepers who own Axolotls which will sit in the flow of a filter or air stone.

You can easily stop or reduce the water flow from a filter, leaving the Axolotl stress free. And considering the mass amount of benefits from a filter you may aswel block the water flow and reap the rewards.

Keeping your tank water cleaner, creating a healthier environment for your Axolotl and sustaining the Nitrogen Cycle is huge benefit.

I will always use a filter as its so easy and benefits your Axolotls habitat.

Old 24th February 2016   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information

This poll has been up for a while ... And I suspect that if we look back in time, we will find more instances of the "filter vs no filter" poll. :-)

Do you use a filter?

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

You need a third option "sometimes", I have axolotl tanks with and without filters. Filtered tanks are generally highly stocked , unplanted and pellets used as a food source, unfiltered tanks are generally lightly stocked, planted and live food only.

Old 17th July 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

Only use filters on my heavily stocked fish tank and koi pond.
Would never use any type of filter with my newts. Low stocking levels, No over feeding, that's the key in my set ups. Keep the water cool reduces issues with anaerobic bacteria. I use gravel base and lots of plants including floating ones.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2016   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I don't keep axies, but I keep other newts/salamanders and I don't use any filters, just air bubblers. I do water changes every three weeks on all my tanks. I didn't answer the poll because I don't keep axies.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Wyvell has shown reliable knowledge

I use two Sponge filters in my tank,one very small one and one medium as well as an air stone. This keeps the oxygen level high and the tank clean. I do have very high evaporation but I am OK with this as it keeps my water cooler.

The sponge filters are a great addition to axolotl tanks because they do not create a lot of water flow but still provide a lot of biological filtration. The two filters in my 20 gallon long tank are rated for 10 gallons and 20 gallons placed at opposite ends. I do have plants in my tank and I am trying to establish floating plants as well. I did have a Hang on back fliter at one time but I decided that it created too much water flow for my tank. I also keep between 2-5 ghost shrimp in the tank as they too help with cleaning and provide a nice snack for my axolotl every now and then.

Wyvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Bunny1994 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Who does NOT use Filters?

For a little while when first getting my axies I didn't use a filter purely for no water agitation but I very quickly found out that the water quality definitely suffered so now I use a waterfall filter which I set quite low in the tank, it doesn't bother my axies in the slightest.

Bunny1994 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack