The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Do you need to use live plants on an axolotl tank?

This is a discussion on Do you need to use live plants on an axolotl tank? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Title pretty much says it all ! I was wondering what the pros/cons are to using live plants vs fake ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LSuzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th February 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: InMemoryOfKoNa is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Do you need to use live plants on an axolotl tank?

Title pretty much says it all ! I was wondering what the pros/cons are to using live plants vs fake plants or no plants.

InMemoryOfKoNa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Kilolotlkeeper is an unknown quantity at this point

Fake plants may injure your axolotl because of the hard plastic, live plants may stimulate them and keep them entertained because they may search for food and such around it, plants aren't a requirement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilolotlkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: InMemoryOfKoNa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you need to use live plants on an axolotl tank?

Thank you so much! will definately look into live plants! What are some good low light plats that are safe for axies? Do I need a flourescent light for plants or will an LED light or just the general light of the room be enough for them to grow properly?

InMemoryOfKoNa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information

When looking for plants, look for low-light plants that can tolerate cool water, are suitable for your water conditions (pH), are tough (axolotls will snap at moving leaves/stems), and can tolerate low light. That eliminates most plants in the aquarium trade ...

Anubias are tough and low light, and can be mounted on a rock to keep them in place. Marimo moss balls are low light, but once in a while, an axie will damage one. Duck weed is a good floating plant that will cut the light reaching the bottom of the tank, and some keepers love it, but my axies eat it (accidentally, I think).

Pros to plants are that they absorb some of the nitrates (but you still need to do regular water changes). Cons are they are another living thing in the tank, and decaying plant matter (if they die) is another source of ammonia etc.

If you want a bare-bottom tank, then you need plants that can get mounted to something like a rock. (Some plants need their roots in a substrate.)

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: NaterPotater has started on the right path

Live plants are not necessary, but they're great! It's kind of fun to watch THEM grow as well. Anubias do really well in cold water with low light. I don't have a tank light at all, and they do fine with just the overhead light in the room (on for maybe half the day). Like Laura said, you just tie them to a rock or something. Mine are tied by the roots to pieces of driftwood and rocks with white thread. My axolotls love hanging out on them. The best part is when the plants are floating up a little bit, so the string is fairly taut like with a helium balloon, and the weight of the little axolotl on top isn't enough to push the plant down. It's really cute :) I've never had one since I don't have an substrate, but I think Amazon Swords are another great plant for low temp and low light, but they need to have some kind of substrate for the roots.

NaterPotater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, plants

LinkBack