The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

What are the best types of lights for an axolotl tank?

This is a discussion on What are the best types of lights for an axolotl tank? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; I know that axolotls need cool temperatures, and are light sensitive. With that in mind, what are the best types ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NaterPotater
  • 1 Post By AxolotlChris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th February 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: InMemoryOfKoNa is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What are the best types of lights for an axolotl tank?

I know that axolotls need cool temperatures, and are light sensitive. With that in mind, what are the best types of lights for their tanks? Do you prefer LED, flourescent, or just the natural/room lighting? Which lighting is best for live plants? Which is kless likely to raise the tempature or hurt their eyes?

Sorry for so many questions, this is my first time keeping an axie and I want to make sure I do everything I can to make it a positive experience for both me and the axie

InMemoryOfKoNa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bellyache has started on the right path
Default Re: What are the best types of lights for an axolotl tank?

i never use lights or recommend their use. as axoltls dont have eyelids the bright light stresses them. natural light is best

Old 24th February 2016   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information

LED lights will raise the temperature the least. if you want to have plants with axolotls, your best bet is to go with very-low-light plants, so that you can minimize the lights.

I have this kind of light. Freshwater Saltwater Reef Aquarium LED Lighting System | Marineland One of the nice things about them is that you can aim the light, so H have it aimed at the back of the tank. This leaves the bottom darker. And if I want to take a close look at the axies, I can aim it down.

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: NaterPotater has started on the right path

The light from the room is enough. It's generally best not to have an actual tank light for axolotls. Fish don't have eyelids either actually... no one seems to mind bright lights for them. Anyway. Room light is enough that you can see them and certain plants like Anubias, Java Fern, Amazon Sword, etc. should do fine with just room light.

NaterPotater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

A low watt bulb is fine, its just down to you to create a proper habitat with coverage. Enough plants and clever aqua scaping making caves, various hides, and shaded areas can create a perfect environment, you can also buy floating plants to minimize the light from above.

Old 25th February 2016   #6 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: big a little a is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbig a little a is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbig a little a is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbig a little a is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbig a little a is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbig a little a is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Ooh, a thread specifically about lights!

I was thinking about getting an LED bubble stone like this (my axie likes to have bubbles/water pressure in one spot of the tank - strange, I know) - but I'm unsure if the light from one of those would be sufficient for anything to grow - and if my memory serves me correct, for photosynthesis, does the light not need to come from above?
Attached Images

Old 25th February 2016   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

I have no experience with this LED bubble stone, but I do not think it is the correct type of light to benefit photosynthesis, and like you say it would be coming from an angle, plants grow towards the light, which is usually why lights are placed above.

Tags
flourescent, led, lights, natural light, plants

LinkBack