The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Cycling tank

This is a discussion on Cycling tank within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Ok, so I JUST set up my tank, like literally today, and when I tested the water it said 0-0.25 ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: InMemoryOfKoNa is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Cycling tank

Ok, so I JUST set up my tank, like literally today, and when I tested the water it said 0-0.25 (the color was inbetween shades) ppm for ammonia and 0ppm for nitrites. I added water conditioner, and an alkaline boost, but nothing else. The only other thing in the aquarium is a thermometer and sand. I don't yet have a filter or any plants, hides, fake plants, or anything else that could change the water chemistry. I'm really confused as to why this is because I feel like there should be more ammonia as it usually takes at least 2 weeks to cycle (for me in the past when I had fish). I tested and retested 3 times to be sure I wasnt making a mistake, it still came back the same. I have a brand new tank that I just bought today as well. Does anyone have any advice/information Why is this happening?

InMemoryOfKoNa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information
Default Re: Cycling tank

Your tank isn't cycled.

That you have any ammonia is surprising. You have just set up your tank. There hasn't been time for ammonia to build up. Usually, ammonia builds up from living things in the tank (poop, leftover food). If you just set up a tank, ammonia is usually 0 unless you add something to increase the ammonia level.

Do you have an axolotl (or anything else alive) in your tank yet? If you don't, the most-likely source of ammonia is your tap water. Get some fresh tap water, treat it with you water conditioner as directed, and test for ammonia. If you have ammonia, that means (most likely) your water supply is treated with chloramine (ammonia and chlorine bonded together) instead of chlorine.

Are you planning to do a "fishless" cycle.?

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: InMemoryOfKoNa is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking of putting a few hardy fish in my tank to cycle it. But I still havent gotten my filter so it won't be for at least a week that I do that.

InMemoryOfKoNa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information

Do a fishless cycle. Even if you cycle with a few hardy fish, they don't provide as big of a bio-load as an axolotl, so your tank may have enough biofilter for small fish, but still not enough for an axolotl. With a fishless cycle, if you use plain ammonia, you can control the ammonia level, and when it is cycled, you know it has a strong enough biofilter.

Just remember, the big water change at the end of a fishless cycle is particularly important with axolotls since they are more sensitive to nitrate than fish are.

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information

You can use this current live thread for more information and website links on the basics of cycling: New owner (cycling help)

Read, read, and read!

Tags
ammonia, axolotl, cycling tank, new tank, nitrites, water chemistry, water quailty, water testing

LinkBack