The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Best Coolers for their price?

This is a discussion on Best Coolers for their price? within the Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate forums, part of the Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) category; Ok so I've been putting it off for as long as i can...but i think i have to buy a ...

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mushutheaxie is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Best Coolers for their price?

Ok so I've been putting it off for as long as i can...but i think i have to buy a chiller for my Mushu's (my axolotl) tank. I live in texas and during the winter keeping his tank in the 60's was no big deal, plus as a baby he lived in a 10 gal and it was easier to keep cool. Now he's in a 20 long and with each month it gets warmer and warmer here. Every morning I wake up to his tank being anywhere from 71-74.8 degrees. Three times a day I put huge amounts of ice in his tank to keep it around 66-69 degrees. But it's a lot of hassle trying to do that often enough to actually keep it cool for long.

So anyways, long story short. chillers are expensive. And if i'm about to spend as much money as i've seen them cost, I want it to be actually worth it.

so, my question: what is the cheapest chiller that is decent for a 20 gallon tank? By decent, i mean capable of keeping it at least 65-66 degrees or an axolotl friendly temp in a 74-78 degree room.

the cheaper the better of course, if there's one in the $100-150 range that'd be amazing. but if i must get one of those high $200-350 dollar ones, I guess I'll suck it up and do it while crying at my wallet.

Note that if I were to stop doing the at least 3 time daily ice adds to my tank, his tank would be at 76 degrees. which to me doesn't sound safe for an axie. So a chiller is necessary if I ever want to stop constantly adding ice.

Last edited by mushutheaxie; 9th March 2016 at 07:29. Reason: It's 2am and I called a chiller a cooler the whole time while typing this. lol
mushutheaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and informationAxolotlChris has given good advice and information
Default Re: Best Coolers for their price?

Amazon has a couple variations of chillers. One at $287 then another at $382. You could try and source a second hand chiller to save a bit of money!

I know 'Aqua Euro' are a reliable brand.

Old 9th March 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: mushutheaxie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Coolers for their price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxolotlChris View Post
Amazon has a couple variations of chillers. One at $287 then another at $382. You could try and source a second hand chiller to save a bit of money!

I know 'Aqua Euro' are a reliable brand.

thank you! I'll look into those now :)

mushutheaxie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, cooler, cooling, heat

LinkBack